Our valued sponsor

Where would you live once you are happy with your passive income?

scooterguy

Pro Member
Mar 15, 2023
My sofa
Visit site
I've reached a point in which I'm content with my investment income, and at the same time I'm getting tired of constant changing tax policies in all countries.

I feel that 10-15 years ago it made sense to live in 3rd world countries that lacked regulations or foreign tax policies. One could save a lot of money, run their offshore businesses freely, invest and reinvest, etc. The downside was that one didn't get anything in return (no social security for example, usually no path to PR or anything like that). It was all mostly about the money.

Nowadays, all these cool, free 3rd world countries are joining CRS, and many of them are starting to tax foreign income and increasing regulations. They're losing their appeal, getting uglier. Like a girl that was once beautiful and easy-going, but now you can tell she's going old and high-maintenance. Maybe a bit crazy too.

So, I'm changing my way of thinking. Or maybe it's the world that is changing. Maybe a bit of both. But, in any case, third world countries are becoming less attractive to me.

I'm thinking about countries such Spain to move to. I know it's a tax hell but it's not that bad for investment income (19% on dividends and capital gains on progressive rates from 19% to 26%). It's also clean, safe and generally organized.

I could also register as self-employed there to do some freelance work on the side (this can be taxed highly but the progressive tax means that it's not so bad for a few thousand euros a month of extra pocket money). This also gives me social security and a path to PR/citizenship that could be useful in the future.

However, I'm interested in the opinions of others, maybe some other possible countries I'm not considering. Mainly what I'm looking for:

* No wealth tax or low wealth tax (Spain's wealth tax is fine, and some communities of Spain don't have it, although that's likely temporary).
* Dividend income tax at ~20% or less.
* The possibility of easily registering as self-employed to do some work.
* Relatively good weather (i.e., UK is off limits).
* No countries with weird laws (i.e., tired of UAE or Singapore and risking going to jail for stupid sh*t :) ).

Interested in your opinions! And thanks for reading this long post!

Reactions: 2fire and JohnLocke
Where do you want to live? What do you want out of life?

It sounds like Spain is a good fit for you. Maybe Greece, check how your income is taxed there.

US (Florida, California) might work.

Mauritius is nice and quite safe and stable.

Cyprus:
No capital gains tax
No dividend tax as a non som , other than a capped amount for national health insurance - max is less than 5k eur
No wealth tax
Benefits of EU country
Would all this apply even after 17 years and the non-domicile status runs out?

Where do you want to live? What do you want out of life?

It sounds like Spain is a good fit for you. Maybe Greece, check how your income is taxed there.

US (Florida, California) might work.

Mauritius is nice and quite safe and stable.

Would all this apply even after 17 years and the non-domicile status runs out?
Presumably the non dom status would cease to apply. Therefore the then tax on dividends would apply.

The rest: no capital gains tax and no wealth tax would remain even after the 17yrs as they universally apply to all tax residents.

Thanks for the suggestions.

@CyprusLawyer101 Cyprus sounds like a good option in terms of taxes, though it seems that my costs of living there would be higher than in Spain.

@Sols Not sure what do I want out of life, that's a really good question!

I guess that at this point I want some sense of stability (probably getting old). Maybe a developed country from where I can manage my investments and do a bit of work, while I build a relationship with that country that lets me achieve PR or citizenship later.

Not a fan of Mauritius. Florida could be a good option, although it appears to be a bit hard to get residency there without a sponsor (unless I set up a company and create 10 jobs, which seems complicated). But maybe I'm wrong and there are easier legal ways to establish myself there.

Spain for retirees is a great option. First of all - good choice of private/public medical institutions, great food and climate, comparatively cheap, low crime away from major cities etc.
Northern Italy is a nice option, but I find it a bit inferior to Spanish lifestyle.

Why not have a tax base somewhere on Cyprus (61 days) or Dubai (91) and just travel around EU, have no ties to any EU country, etc? Spend Jan-March in Dubai, 179 days somewhere in Spanish Costa and the rest cruising around?

Spain for retirees is a great option. First of all - good choice of private/public medical institutions, great food and climate, comparatively cheap, low crime away from major cities etc.
Northern Italy is a nice option, but I find it a bit inferior to Spanish lifestyle.

Yeah I've been looking into Northern Italy as well, but I have a slight preference toward Spain. It's cheaper, cleaner, and taxes on investments are lower.

Why not have a tax base somewhere on Cyprus (61 days) or Dubai (91) and just travel around EU, have no ties to any EU country, etc? Spend Jan-March in Dubai, 179 days somewhere in Spanish Costa and the rest cruising around?

That's the kind of stuff I've been doing for the last 10 years or so. I guess I want to settle down now, at least for a while.

Cyprus:
No capital gains tax
No dividend tax as a non som , other than a capped amount for national health insurance - max is less than 5k eur
No wealth tax
Benefits of EU country
Health insurance could be a key factor especially for aged retired, and it's one of the advantage of the Portugal with good and cheap health protection for retired RNH.

it's not that bad for investment income (19% on dividends

Speaking of dividends Greece with its 5% taxation could be an awesome place to settle.

Dividend_2023.png

Speaking of dividends Greece with its 5% taxation could be an awesome place to settle.

Dividend_2023.png

I think that map shows dividends of corporations that reside in those countries. Those are not the rates for an individual investor with investments abroad.

For example, dividends paid by US stocks to a resident of Greece will have a 30% tax withheld at source.

dividends paid by US stocks to a resident of Greece will have a 30% tax withheld at source.

Nowhere in your post you said that one of the requirements was a country with a DTT with US.

If that's the case you could consider Bali and its 5 years digital nomad Visa. AFAIK this Visa allow digital nomads to stay in Indonesia for 5 years and all income earned from outside Indonesia would be tax-free (Indonesia has 15% WHT on US dividends).

Mexico could be another option with 10% WHT on US dividens but don't know if it's possible to avoid to pay personal income taxes on those dividends.

Last edited:
Nowhere in your post you said that one of the requirements was a country with a DTT with US.

If that's the case you could consider Bali and its 5 years digital nomad Visa. AFAIK this Visa allow digital nomads to stay in Indonesia for 5 years and all income earned from outside Indonesia would be tax-free (Indonesia has 15% WHT on US dividends).

Mexico could be another option with 10% WHT on US dividens but don't know if it's possible to avoid to pay personal income taxes on those dividends.

Sorry for the confusion.

I don't require a DTT with the US. I have investments in many countries, but a good DTT with the US always comes in handy, since I do have a good portion of investments there.

Regarding your other suggestions: not a fan of Mexico tbh but I might look into Indonesia.

I'm looking for a developed country with a path to PR/citizenship though, but Indonesia could be a good transition place to spend a few years in, so thanks for mentioning it. I'll have to look more into the details of those visas though.

Yes, they are starting to see fish with two heads now.

Some time passed since the nuclear tests. Now the situation is safe: INIS Repository Search - Single Result:

After a steady fall in radioactivity levels since the French atmospheric tests come to an end in 1974, the radiological level observed in 2014 has been stable in the recent year and is now very low. This residual radioactivity relates primarily to the 137Cs. In term of additional dose, this artificial and residual radioactivity is lower than 5 μSv.y-1 (5 micro-sieverts per year). This value corresponds to less than 0.5 % of exposure due to natural radioactivity in Polynesia (approximately 1,000 μSv.y-1).

For comparison, this is the situation in Europe after Chernobyl: https://inis.iaea.org/collection/NCLCollectionStore/_Public/31/056/31056824.pdf?r=1

IMG_8630.jpeg

Last edited:
If you are looking for stability, I would avoid any countries with debt to GDP north of 100% and whose population standards of living are and will continue to plummet in the years to come.
Nothing good will come out of them apart relentless taxation, social agitation, political instability, nationalism and scapegoating.
(BTW Spain still doesn't have a government formed several months after the elections, not a very reassuring landscape).