Our valued sponsor

Question About the name of my future US-LLC

catslover

Dec 6, 2022
Montevideo
Visit site
I am about to start with the paperwork to open my offshore in the USA (probably in New Mexico) and I have some doubts about the name for my company.

Apparently you cannot use the term "American" or "National" within the company name, for example: "American eLearning LLC" or "National eLearning LLC".
This is correct or I can use these terms in the name??

On the other hand, I see that companies often have a real name, but they promote and sell their services under another name. For example, Google is really Alphable Inc.

How do you do that? Can you have an LLC that uses another name?

Reactions: clemens
I am about to start with the paperwork to open my offshore in the USA (probably in New Mexico) and I have some doubts about the name for my company.

Apparently you cannot use the term "American" or "National" within the company name, for example: "American eLearning LLC" or "National eLearning LLC".

On the other hand, I see that companies often have a real name, but they promote and sell their services under another name. For example, Google is really Alphable Inc.

Its called DBA - Doing Business As

Reactions: catslover

That is, as far as I know, not correct. "American" and "National" are not prohibited words. But the principle is correct: some words are prohibited.

Alphabet Inc also owns Google LLC and a bunch of other companies with the word Google in them.

You can register a DBA as @tomyz said, or you can just call your website/brand one thing and the company another. Registering a DBA isn't necessarily required, but it can be useful if you want to protect your trademark.

Reactions: clemens
Indeed there are some restricted words when forming a company in the U.S. The list of prohibited words depends on the state where you will incorporate. For instance, the word "olympic" is prohibited to use in a company name in California, but allowed in some other states.
here is a link to a website that lists the business name restrictions :

Reactions: catslover
Indeed there are some restricted words when forming a company in the U.S. The list of prohibited words depends on the state where you will incorporate. For instance, the word "olympic" is prohibited to use in a company name in California, but allowed in some other states.
here is a link to a website that lists the business name restrictions :

Thank you for the link.

Actually, I am familiar with sports science and the business of physical training and high performance, and I must say that the term "olympic" is a trademark of the International Olympic Committee, and no one else can use it.

I think that term is forbidden everywhere, but maybe some states have received so many requests for names that contain that term, that they preferred to include it in their lists of forbidden terms.

Latest Threads