Our valued sponsor

best bank for loan against stocks

Hi all,

Let's suppose you have fix-figures invested in diversified stocks (World ETFs). EU passport. what would be the best bank to get a loan against this portfolio?

To my knowledge:
-> brokers offer this via margin loans. IBKR only allows margin trading, but no margin loans for Europeans. LTV until 25-30% is realistic. Viable solution is DEGIRO but interest rate varies between 3% and 4%
-> take out a lombard loan. LTV much better at up to 70% but higher interest rates. CIM Banque in Switzerland offers this. looking for any other bank offering better conditions.

do you know any other alternatives?

thanks

The LTV will vary between banks and will depend on the quality and liquidity of your ETF and also importantly the loan currency. For example SC in Dubai offer 0% on Euro but LTV you need to work out with them as not sure they will accept ETF's. Reason being they get retro fees from Mutual Funds annual fees which offsets the lack of income from the loan itself.

See my post below:

P.S Lending rates for currencies in link have gone up except EURO so check the website for up to date information.

Hi all,

Let's suppose you have fix-figures invested in diversified stocks (World ETFs). EU passport. what would be the best bank to get a loan against this portfolio?

To my knowledge:
-> brokers offer this via margin loans. IBKR only allows margin trading, but no margin loans for Europeans. LTV until 25-30% is realistic. Viable solution is DEGIRO but interest rate varies between 3% and 4%
-> take out a lombard loan. LTV much better at up to 70% but higher interest rates. CIM Banque in Switzerland offers this. looking for any other bank offering better conditions.

thanks

Hey,

I might be able to get you such a loan from Pacific Private Bank.

Drop me an email to explore it further.

Hey,

I might be able to get you such a loan from Pacific Private Bank.

Drop me an email to explore it further.
Great, I will PM you.

Any decent bank offers Lombard loans
Great, if you can share any names of banks that can offer this this would be great. Also if you can share their terms. Ideally looking for at least 60% LTV with an investment line of credit (interest paid only on what is borrowed) sub 3% interest rate, with collateral backed by World ETFs. and can work with corporate accounts. thanks
The LTV will vary between banks and will depend on the quality and liquidity of your ETF and also importantly the loan currency. For example SC in Dubai offer 0% on Euro but LTV you need to work out with them as not sure they will accept ETF's. Reason being they get retro fees from Mutual Funds annual fees which offsets the lack of income from the loan itself.

See my post below:

P.S Lending rates for currencies in link have gone up except EURO so check the website for up to date information.
Thanks, I've checked it out, it is a good read.

Great, if you can share any names of banks that can offer this this would be great. Also if you can share their terms. Ideally looking for at least 60% LTV with an investment line of credit (interest paid only on what is borrowed) sub 3% interest rate, with collateral backed by World ETFs. and can work with corporate accounts. thanks
Coutts and CS do that, LTV was higher with index ETFs as collateral when I obtained the loans but really any bank should be able to offer this service.

Writing a quick update on the search for a Lombard Loan. The additional difficulty I have is that the stocks I can offer to the bank as collateral are held via an Estonian company.

No Estonian banks will accept me and UK brokers I have contacted didn't find any banks willing to move forward.

I contacted all of the ones mentioned in this thread and more, and only Swissquote would offer me a lombard loan. 60% LTV, 3% interest rate on Euro. But they have huge fees (3x to 4x the commission IBKR charges on trades).

Does anyone know any bank not already mentioned in this thread that offers a lombard loan against a portfolio of World ETFs held via a company in Estonia? Would appreciate any help!

Writing a quick update on the search for a Lombard Loan. The additional difficulty I have is that the stocks I can offer to the bank as collateral are held via an Estonian company.

No Estonian banks will accept me and UK brokers I have contacted didn't find any banks willing to move forward.

I contacted all of the ones mentioned in this thread and more, and only Swissquote would offer me a lombard loan. 60% LTV, 3% interest rate on Euro. But they have huge fees (3x to 4x the commission IBKR charges on trades).

Does anyone know any bank not already mentioned in this thread that offers a lombard loan against a portfolio of World ETFs held via a company in Estonia? Would appreciate any help!
I can help you, but ltv max 35-50%, rates from 2% up to 3,75% max 10 years, big european bank.

See my post below:

What is SC?

I've gone with Swissquote. They have slightly lower interest rates in CHF (3.6% vs 4.55% for EUR). Only downside is that they charge a safe custody fee of 0.025% per quarter for legal entities.
Wise decision - we have a lot of clients doing the same with Swissquote but with a Dubai entity.

Last edited:
Hi all,

To my knowledge:

thanks
Interactive brokers has great interest rates for this and accepts most countries. Banks can give you high LTV though but with higher interest.

Latest Threads