Our valued sponsor

Buy a 100K BMW X5 in Germany and take it into Switzerland, what's the costs?

EliasIT

Corporate Services
Mentor Group Lifetime
Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
As those of you that read the forum frequently know I'm planning to relocate to Switzerland / Zug and later Lugano.

Now I was planning to buy a BMW X5 Hybrid which costs roughly 100K Euro in Germany, after 5 - 8 months I want to take this car with me into Switzerland, so I asked the customs what the costs are.

I must say, Switzerland authorities are ULTRA fast to respond.

However, I do not understand the math, maybe someone here can help elaborate :)

They replied the following:

The following documents are required for importation:
Import customs declaration
1. When you first import a vehicle into Switzerland, it is advisable to find a declarant/carrier who will take care of customs processing in return for a fee (advantages: possible time savings, support also regarding foreign customs formalities for exportation).

2. You can also carry out the import customs declaration yourself online. Information on this can be found on the website e-dec web Import. Various help functions are available (e.g. info texts, selection lists, etc.). Some basic customs knowledge is nevertheless necessary in order to be able to use e-dec web (e.g. you have to find the relevant merchandise code, or tariff heading, yourself in the Tares customs tariff, www.tares.ch).

e-dec web Import

You must print the import customs declaration and present it with the other required documentation to the customs clearance office when entering Switzerland. The vehicle must be present. It is possible to make the declaration only during the clearance times for merchandise. The detailed opening hours are available in the list of customs offices.

List of customs offices
Dienststellenverzeichnis / Liste des offices / Elenco degli uffici / Customs offices (admin.ch)

Required documentation:

Foreign vehicle registration document

You require the foreign vehicle registration document (cancelled if applicable) for importing the vehicle.

Sales contract

Certificate of origin (if available)

Any certificate of origin is to be presented at the time of importation. Further information can be found here: Free trade agreements, origin.

Free trade agreements, origin

Costs are: duty between CHF 12.- and 15.- on the net weight of your car (www.tares.ch, TN 8703.xxxx), motor vehicle tax 4% on the value of the car and 7.7% Swiss VAT plus CHF 20.- for the form 13.20A for car inspection / registration. If you bring a valid Certificate of Origin for the car the duty will fall away. What costs you have to expect at car inspection and insurance is no subject to Customs.

Can someone please make me the calculation, I will buy you a free Mentor Group Gold membership if that helps to motivate :D

Just get a quote online from an importer and get them to handle it all. Not worth the run around.

Just get a quote online from an importer and get them to handle it all. Not worth the run around.

Your awesome @Martin Everson - you are already mentor group gold, sorry eek¤%&

1664978462743.png

So I have to pay 94,000 EURO at the dealer and again 89,983 CHF to get the car into Switzerland ?

Because what I meant is, I buy the car now at a BMW dealer in Germany, after maybe 8 months I relocate to Switzerland and want to take the car with me.

Reactions: JohnLocke
Yes I think so, there is a proposal from them here. I assume I have to remove the cost of the car and pay the rest of the fees which are:
14,429 CHF in total if I'm not mistaken. That would make more sense :D

Attachments

• bmw5.pdf
    47.8 KB · Views: 15
Yes I think so, there is a proposal from them here. I assume I have to remove the cost of the car and pay the rest of the fees which are:
14,429 CHF in total if I'm not mistaken. That would make more sense :D

You can save 1,399 euros if you drove it to Switzerland yourself from Germany instead of them transporting it for you smi(&%.

Won't you get back german VAT if you export the car to Switzerland?

His owning it beforehand for 5-8 months he said before exporting to Switzerland. Don't think he is buying to export immediately. But worth investigating rules around that anyway.

Reactions: EliasIT
I don't need a Yacht in Zug nor in Lugano, I need my BMW X5 Hybrid which I just bought after you guys (specially @Martin Everson ) useful links that convince me that it is the right choice.

Reactions: Martin Everson
When I moved to CH I bought i brand new motorbike and imported it to CH.

The steps I remember are;

1. You need to own the vehicle for 6 months if bought brand new else there was something with tax
2. The dealer supplies upon request all export papers for you (they did for me at least)
3. Those papers and the official forms you present at the border (within office hours) at customs. 90% change they just stamp it and you get to import the vehicle.
4. I know I paid some fees. I am not sure if I paid everything that day. I vaguely remember that I got the tax bill later at my home address to settle.
5. Make an appointment at the strassenverkehrsamt to get the car registered on Swiss plates. Mind you, you need insurance before strassenverkehrsamt will issue you the car registration papers. Use comparis.ch to find insurance.
6. Pay the fees, bill will be send to your home address.
7. Last but not least, do not attempt to do this more than 1 year after officially moving to CH. Your vehicle is then not seen as part of your household and different rules and fees apply.
8. While you are at it; exchange your drivers license for a Swiss one within the first year. If not, worst case you have to go for an exam again.

I did it myself as it was not worth it to outsource it. You have the info. Call customs and ask them what is not clear. Given that you speak the language it really shouldn’t be a problem.

Owh and cross the border at Basel. Just don’t do it on a Monday morning or a Friday afternoon and keep an eye on national holidays.

Good luck.

If I may ask what other models were you considering to buy besides BMW X5?
Yeah I changed my mind. The BMW dealer was an arrogantly a*****e so I bought a Mercedes SUV which is more horse power and was even 2000 euro cheaper :D

In what decade will the car be delivered to you?
next week, I got it directly from the shop, they have some nice models there with lots of extra's so I picked one of them for delivery a week later.

Latest Threads