Our valued sponsor

Can we take the topic once again, sorry - where to relocate to for almost no tax?

I don't know if this is just lax or generous treatment of those individuals

I’m 100% sure they know what foreigners do while in the country and they are simply closing their eyes because don’t want to bother farangs who bring money in the country and at the same time they want to continue to be known as the digital nomad hub as Chang Mai is known for that since years.

Reactions: TheCryptoAnt
I’m 100% sure they know what foreigners do while in the country and they are simply closing their eyes because don’t want to bother farangs who bring money in the country and at the same time they want to continue to be known as the digital nomad hub as Chang Mai is known for that since years.
Is there a risk of prison or only a fine and/or deportation for tax offences in Thailand?

don’t want to bother farangs who bring money in the country

That can be true at a much higher level. A few writers and Web designers aren't going to set tax policy. Application of regulations is very local and when it comes to a co-working centre in Chiang Mai, it has a lot to do with who owns it.

You can get away with being in the grey area for a long time, forever if you're lucky. The problem is if you fall out with someone who's friends with someone who matters. My choice was to move on, before setting anything concrete. Please don't get me wrong I like Thailand (away from the tourist/expat areas), I just think it's not the right place to play dice with the cops.

Is there a risk of prison or only a fine and/or deportation for tax offences in Thailand?

Yes, up to seven years and people are jailed. In Thailand you can even be jailed for leaving bad reviews on Tripadvisor - and truth is not a defence.

For "where to relocate to for almost no tax", Thailand is great if you are retired and/or live on offshore passive investments. If you're working and want to build a business, I say avoid.

Mazars Thailand - Thai sourced income and residence rules

Quotes:

"An individual will be considered a Thai tax resident in a particular calendar year if he lives in Thailand for 180 days or more in such calendar year."

"If such income is considered foreign sourced income (income derived from work performed outside of Thailand, business conducted outside of Thailand, or property situated outside of Thailand) it will be taxed in Thailand only if: i. an individual is a Thai tax resident; and ii. such individual brings such income into Thailand in the same calendar year that he receives it."
"...he lives in Thailand for 180 days or more..."

Does this mean being physically present in Thailand for +180 days, or having rented flat and address in Thailand for +180 days?

For "where to relocate to for almost no tax", Thailand is great if you are retired and/or live on offshore passive investments. If you're working and want to build a business, I say avoid.

Came across this article while looking into Thailand taxation: Broken Flag Theory - The Taxation of Digital Nomads in Thailand

It analyzes the Digital Nomad/Owner of Foreign Company living in Thailand from many different angles. I would conclude that you're breaking the tax law if you don't pay taxes while living in Thailand as a digital nomad/owning foreign corporation.

Additionally, the new LTR visa specifically offers a "lower" 17% tax rate to qualifying remote workers. So they might decide to come for people working from Thailand without a work permit, and getting away with 0% tax.

"The main benefits of receiving Thailand's new digital nomad visa are the potential for a 10-year residency in the country and a lower tax rate. Rather than paying a possible 35% tax rate, digital nomads will only pay 17% in taxes. Applicants may bring their spouse and dependents on the Thailand digital nomad visa.Aug 13, 2022" (source: Thailand Digital Nomad Visa: How to Apply in 4 Steps.)

They might not be enforcing tax laws strictly for now, or if you make 4-5k a month you might not have much to worry about. But I wouldn't want to own a serious business doing bigger numbers while not following local tax laws. My 2 cents.

Thailand is a paradise for tax evaders and thus who want to avoid taxes as much as possible. It's also a nice place for people who want to get cheap and willingness woman's, boys or whatever you are into. I'm sure you could find a lovely house and go swimming every day in the clear water they have.

Anyway, it's not for me, sadly I don't like it.

Reactions: troubled soul
Have not been there and will never enter their boarders. For me Thailand is the most nasty and crucial country in the world. It's for sex-hungry tourists with bestial fantasies.

If they would give me 1000 $ a day I would not come there.

If you haven't been there how are you so sure about this? Internet posts are not reality.

Pay a visit, you will be surprised. Just avoid downtown Pattaya.

Reactions: khinkali
If you haven't been there how are you so sure about this? Internet posts are not reality.
No no my friend, i know lot's of people I don't speak any longer with that had their great pleasure sex trips to Thailand. They cam back to tell their story and I was chocked.

No no my friend, i know lot's of people I don't speak any longer with that had their great pleasure sex trips to Thailand. They cam back to tell their story and I was chocked.

yeah man but because some dudes went to TH or PH to f**k children doesnt mean theres children/young woman to f**k in every corner.

Thailand is large and prostitution is concentrated in certain places, the most notable one is Pattaya.
And even then, tons of people go live in Pattaya and dont do prostitution.

I lived there for years and believe me you develop a 6th sense to identify those people, they become very easy to spot after the first month.
Islands like Samui are full of foreigner families w children and prostitution is almost not existent.

Reactions: troubled soul
Thailand, USA, Amsterdam, UK, many places have seedy areas. Some people go to the seedy areas and they think it is the whole country.

I worked in an office with 105 people, 102 Thai, more female than male. Only one had ever had a Western boyfriend. Patong, Payyaya, Silom represent Thailand in the same way that Bourbon Street New Orleans represents the USA and Amsterdam's Red Light District represents the Netherlands. Certainly there are some tourists and maybe expats who only see those parts.