Our valued sponsor

Cyprus Category F and path to citizenship

oznomad

Mar 14, 2022
Australia
Visit site
Don't have enough free capital for golden visas so looking at alternatives that don't have heavy minimum stay requirements and leads to EU citizenship down the road. Will continue to stay in Australia for the foreseeable future for various reasons. Anyone been through the Category F process? Can recommend any agents/lawyers?

Reactions: clemens
Don't have enough free capital for golden visas so looking at alternatives that don't have heavy minimum stay requirements and leads to EU citizenship down the road. Will continue to stay in Australia for the foreseeable future for various reasons. Anyone been through the Category F process? Can recommend any agents/lawyers?
Wouldn't you have to stay for majority of the year in Cyprus to renew cat F visa?

Also to qualify for citizenship you need 5x365 days I believe, so it's not 5 years on paper.

Reactions: oznomad
Wouldn't you have to stay for majority of the year in Cyprus to renew cat F visa?

Also to qualify for citizenship you need 5x365 days I believe, so it's not 5 years on paper.
Application for Cyprus citizenship can be submitted by foreigners, who have completed a total of 7 years of legal residence in Cyprus (2555 days of staying in Cyprus) before the application date. The applicant must have resided continuously in Cyprus through the last 1 year before applying. In cases of applicants who are children or parents of Cypriot citizens, the time required is 5 years rather than 7.

The same 5 years period requirement applies to holders of the permanent residency status.

Please note that at the moment the gvt is preparing amendments to the relevant law making it 5 years instead of seven for all cases, or 4 years for exceptional cases that can show good knowledge of Greek language.

Thanks all for the quick responses. If one has to reside continuously for the last 1 year, does that mean the 4 years before that can be reduced stay requirements?

Georgia, Malta and Bulgaria are the places suggested here a lot of time.

For Cyprus I'm sure @CyprusLaw , @CyprusLawyer101 and a few more will shim in soon :)

From what I've researched, Malta is a tough nut to crack for citizenship through Naturalization.
I believe Bulgaria doesn't allow dual citizenship, I don't know much about their pathways. I think it's the same for Georgia as well.

Last edited:
Portugal golden visa might be interesting, 7 day per year minimum stay. Can apply after 5 years to obtain Citizenship

Reactions: oznomad
exactly, and you only need to renew the residency after 2 years, so technically the first two years you can come 2 weeks before renewing it. You would get the citizenship & passport in the 6 or 7th year
More and more judges in Portugal decide not to grant citizenship without substance for applicants who spend only a week per year

Reactions: KDX
GV only covers the residency requirements for citizenship, the two other important factors are "ties to Portugal" and basic fluency of Portuguese.
ties to Portugal is relatively easy to have in the form of bank accounts, some membership to maybe gyms, yacht clubs etc. Basic fluency of Portuguese is attainable via any language school and can be 'bought'

Reactions: clemens and oznomad
exactly, and you only need to renew the residency after 2 years, so technically the first two years you can come 2 weeks before renewing it. You would get the citizenship & passport in the 6 or 7th year
That's good to know!

Latest Threads