Our valued sponsor

From gas station attendant to millionaire

He never got to enjoy it. What's the point? I'm tired of these "success" stories of people who worked dead-end jobs, invested all they could into index funds and got to 70 years old with millions. Cool, you're a millionaire, but you're also about to die and you didn't do s**t your whole life.

This is not a success story. This is just sad.
I agree but I have a solution
He should have spent only dividends, let's say 1.50% a year.
Leave 10% annual income untouched and held his positions and let compounding do it's magic.

He never got to enjoy it. What's the point? I'm tired of these "success" stories of people who worked dead-end jobs, invested all they could into index funds and got to 70 years old with millions. Cool, you're a millionaire, but you're also about to die and you didn't do s**t your whole life.

This is not a success story. This is just sad.

How do you know he didn't get to enjoy it? You don't know the details of every single minute of his life.

He clearly enjoyed working at the gas station and enjoyed his hobbies. He enjoyed the financial security and peace of mind, and wanted to leave most of his estate to charity.

Plus a whole lot no one knows. Even the most frugal people splurge from time to time, just like people who are successful in their diets eat pizza sometimes.

Of course, the fat people will tell those with nice bodies that they don't enjoy their lives... Similar mindset.