Our valued sponsor

Good jurisdiction for registering a DAO?

eomeakyl

Oct 20, 2020
Visit site
I'm currently working within a DAO and we're considering forming a legal entity to provide some liability protection. We've considered keeping the DAO purely crypto-based and not registering an entity anywhere, but that opens up risk for unlimited liability to everyone who owns DAO tokens. Does anyone have experience or recommendations for jurisdictions that are well suited for registering DAOs?

We're talking with a few law firms currently to set this all up. We're thinking of Cayman Islands Foundation paired with a company in Dubai. It's all pretty expensive to set up (>$50k per year). It's much more robust though than a Wyoming/Delaware LLC. The USA doesn't have suitable laws for registering DAOs and is pretty unfriendly when it comes to crypto, despite what Wyoming marketing advertises.

Is the issue "general partnership", which to quote OP "opens up risk for unlimited liability to everyone who owns DAO tokens" or are we talking Ltd partnership that somehow gives legal protection to token holders?

Switzerland has been talked about a lot, regarding DAOs. I still wonder how common law jurisdictions (Ireland, Scotland) could fit in.

Wasn't the English "private fund" approach supposed to make this kind of thing easier? Ltd partners can vote to remove managers, without being classified as investment managers themselves? It's been around for years, but so far I see very little clarity on how it works.

Reactions: troubled soul

Latest Threads