Our valued sponsor

How to become tax resident in Thailand? (I got rejected)

Are you sure it's still territorial taxation in Philippines ?

read this on PWC :

"The Philippines taxes its resident citizens on their worldwide income. Non-resident citizens and aliens, whether or not resident in the Philippines, are taxed only on income from sources within the Philippines.

Rates of tax on income of aliens, resident or not, depend on the nature of their income (i.e. compensation income, income subject to final tax, or other income)."

source : Philippines - Individual - Taxes on personal income.
I'm not sure, but I think it's clear here that it is: "aliens (that's you and me), whether or not resident in the Philippines, are taxed only on income from sources within the Philippines."

Only Philippines nationals resident in the country would have to pay tax on their worldwide income.

That's how I see it. But I'm no expert.

Let's keep this thread for Thailand matters better. We can open another about Philippines if there is interest.

I'm not sure, but I think it's clear here that it is: "aliens (that's you and me), whether or not resident in the Philippines, are taxed only on income from sources within the Philippines."

Only Philippines nationals resident in the country would have to pay tax on their worldwide income.

Let's keep this thread for Thailand matters better. We can open another about Philippines if there is interest.
Sorry, I think you are correct.. i read to fast the PWC.

Reactions: churumbelo
It worries me SERIOUSLY a lot, and I am worrying a lot as they say that they might implement it in 2024. I am looking where I can move asap, ASAP. Here is so big headache for me and ended up every day one more surprise for me. I am giving up.... need to relocate ASAP, 0% country for wordwide income, any suggestion? already packing.

indeed New overseas income rules proposed LOOK and tell me please! Very worrying!

Same here for me... News : New overseas income rules proposed anyone knows??? please update! Shall I go immediately? they say that they will implement from 1/2024 please read maybe I am missing something
It worries me SERIOUSLY a lot, and I am worrying a lot as they say that they might implement it in 2024. I am looking where I can move asap, ASAP. Here is so big headache for me and ended up every day one more surprise for me. I am giving up.... need to relocate ASAP, 0% country for wordwide income, any suggestion? already packing.

indeed New overseas income rules proposed LOOK and tell me please! Very worrying!

Same here for me... News : New overseas income rules proposed anyone knows??? please update! Shall I go immediately? they say that they will implement from 1/2024 please read maybe I am missing something
chillax. Have you walked around and seen the public infrastructure like the streets or having been to a gov hospital (the ones without aircon not the fancy privately run spa temples) or seen a gov system like the tm30 or whatsoever?
It reeks from incompetence and its a joke at best, so any change wont be fast if at all.

Also cannabis was supposed to be gone by end of april 2024, but its all still here.

It also requires legal changes not just with the sleazy backdoor style from 2023.

Down the line this most likely will be a thing on paper in the years to come, but no need to flee in a jason borne like overnight stunt.

Why do you need a tax certificate?

In the very unlikely event it goes life in 2025 just stay 170 days and use the rest of 2025 to find your new place.

why i cannot find it ? ?!?!??! please can you send the link !! thank you so much

If they do that, bye bye Thailand for me. I might come for less than 180 days a year and that's it. Time to start looking for an alternative.

That's what I think.
I think that most informed and smart people will stay <180 days just to stay out of the radar in Thailand, who knows what they gonna crack down on next.
April and May were hot like hell's kitchen this year, and even I plan to head somewhere cooler for that 2 months (2nd country).
That leaves 4 months to spend in a 3rd country and not be a tax resident anywhere.
Negatives: if you rent a condo or house, it will have to stay empty for half year.

But there are alternatives like Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos (and Myanmar, if you feel lucky), where the local government is decades behind and leaves you alone.

Last edited:
Reactions: JackAlabama
I think that most informed and smart people will stay <180 days just to stay out of the radar in Thailand, who knows what they gonna crack down on next.
April and May were hot like hell's kitchen this year, and even I plan to head somewhere cooler for that 2 months (2nd country).
That leaves 4 months to spend in a 3rd country and not be a tax resident anywhere.
Negatives: if you rent a condo or house, it will have to stay empty for half year.

But there are alternatives like Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos (and Myanmar, if you feel lucky), where the local government is decades behind and leaves you alone.
I'm still in Thailand and it's still hot as hell...

In my case I need a tax resident certificate, otherwise my home country can claim my tax residency for the tax year... Even if I could prove (easy with the passport stamps) I have spent here 8 months they could give me a hard time if they wanted to. So in my case I have to pay little tax here and then request the certificate.

just wanna throw in indonesia has this for ages (worldwide taxes for residents) but no one gives a rats arse.
Seems we have many members in the land of smiles but not many in indonesia.

In my case I need a tax resident certificate, otherwise my home country can claim my tax residency for the tax year... Even if I could prove (easy with the passport stamps) I have spent here 8 months they could give me a hard time if they wanted to. So in my case I have to pay little tax here and then request the certificate.
so youre one of the unfortunate passport club.

In Dubai can have tax residency certificate in 90 days... You need company visa or any other type of visa and rented flat.

chillax. Have you walked around and seen the public infrastructure like the streets or having been to a gov hospital (the ones without aircon not the fancy privately run spa temples) or seen a gov system like the tm30 or whatsoever?
It reeks from incompetence and its a joke at best, so any change wont be fast if at all.

Also cannabis was supposed to be gone by end of april 2024, but its all still here.

It also requires legal changes not just with the sleazy backdoor style from 2023.

Down the line this most likely will be a thing on paper in the years to come, but no need to flee in a jason borne like overnight stunt.

Why do you need a tax certificate?

In the very unlikely event it goes life in 2025 just stay 170 days and use the rest of 2025 to find your new place.

@JackAlabama thank you very much! But did you see how fast they implemented the 2023 addition of the same year income (to any time remmit in Th?) - in 1-2 months? I will go to Phills embassy tomorrow for clarrifications of the tax-free on the worldwide income. If it's true, I will move asap. I am under 50 so can't comply with the retirement visa of Phills. I don't mind if it goes live in 2025, as long as I know it earlier to leave. My worry is not to say "updates the 2023/2024 new rule" so then no time to go (unless I fly tomorrow, as to make a new residency in a new country also takes time which is NOT consider / count in the 183 days. i.e. UAE; if I go tomorrow, the RP will be ready July 1st therefore will not comply 183 days there; I need Tax residency certificate because i - unfortunatelly - need it for the country i have citizenship (yearly). Otherwise I'd be free and flying around for ever :)

Yes, same here, MANY countries are doing it... So @churumbelo where shall we move at? I'll go tomorrow to Phills embassy to meet them and discuss, if they give tax free, I'm moving

@JackAlabama thank you very much! But did you see how fast they implemented the 2023 addition of the same year income (to any time remmit in Th?) - in 1-2 months?
yes i saw that and i commented it.
It was a rule change in interpretation and not law. The law was always like now.

They cannot change again in the same sleazy way now, like with cannabis. They tried last year but failed so far. Cannabis is still everywhere even tho they said for sure gone end of april 2024.
This needs time even in banana republics.
I will go to Phills embassy tomorrow for clarrifications of the tax-free on the worldwide income. If it's true, I will move asap. I am under 50 so can't comply with the retirement visa of Phills. I don't mind if it goes live in 2025, as long as I know it earlier to leave. My worry is not to say "updates the 2023/2024 new rule" so then no time to go (unless I fly tomorrow, as to make a new residency in a new country also takes time which is NOT consider / count in the 183 days. i.e. UAE; if I go tomorrow, the RP will be ready July 1st therefore will not comply 183 days there; I need Tax residency certificate because i - unfortunatelly - need it for the country i have citizenship (yearly). Otherwise I'd be free and flying around for ever :)
dubai 90 days gets you tax certificate.
in phils you can do SIRV.

yes i saw that and i commented it.
It was a rule change in interpretation and not law. The law was always like now.

They cannot change again in the same sleazy way now, like with cannabis. They tried last year but failed so far. Cannabis is still everywhere even tho they said for sure gone end of april 2024.
This needs time even in banana republics.

dubai 90 days gets you tax certificate.
in phils you can do SIRV.
Not really relevant to taxes, but as you mentioned it twice in this thread, I feel like I have to correct you, as I think you are mistaking something.
I never heard about them stating April 2024 for the start of the ban. First they announced end of the year, then April 2025.
But yeah, we might get a coup before then, and then they will have more important things to worry about.

https://thediplomat.com/2024/03/tha...nal-marijuana-use-by-years-end-minister-says/https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-...be-re-listed-narcotic-by-end-2024-2024-05-08/

Not really relevant to taxes, but as you mentioned it twice in this thread, I feel like I have to correct you, as I think you are mistaking something.
I never heard about them stating April 2024 for the start of the ban. First they announced end of the year, then April 2025.
But yeah, we might get a coup before then, and then they will have more important things to worry about.

https://thediplomat.com/2024/03/tha...nal-marijuana-use-by-years-end-minister-says/https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-...be-re-listed-narcotic-by-end-2024-2024-05-08/
Do you think so? that might get a coup ?

you can get everything there. But its slow.
For fast issues, Dubai is better.
I can't live in UAE :)) No no no :) Phills probably. Does anyone know any good tax advisor that knows the laws in Phillipines? Thank you!

Last edited:
i feel like i have to disagree with you, there was talk last year already ;)
there are articles from last year like this one for example, its just coming up again.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-...nner-mulls-reversing-legalisation-2023-05-25/https://www.scmp.com/magazines/post...tourists-drugs-easy-availability-puts-chinese

But thanks for bringing this up, it emphasizes the point made actually very nicely and I rest my case.

Do you think so? that might get a coup ?
possible, in whatever form. The minister is already under some trials or smth.
Just normal banana republic stuff, nothing to overly worry about.

I can't live in UAE :)) No no no :) Phills probably. Does anyone know any good tax advisor that knows the laws in Phillipines? Thank you!
why not uae? Just for 90 days and your precious tax cert.

Last edited: