Our valued sponsor

How to become tax resident in Thailand? (I got rejected)

yes i saw that and i commented it.
It was a rule change in interpretation and not law. The law was always like now.

They cannot change again in the same sleazy way now, like with cannabis. They tried last year but failed so far. Cannabis is still everywhere even tho they said for sure gone end of april 2024.
This needs time even in banana republics.

dubai 90 days gets you tax certificate.
in phils you can do SIRV.
The 90-days Emirates certificate is like the 60-days Cyprus certificate. It is only valid locally. It cannot protect you against your home country based on a DTT.

The 90-days Emirates certificate is like the 60-days Cyprus certificate. It is only valid locally. It cannot protect you against your home country based on a DTT.
too bad then, but you can still go for the magic 180 days since its only June, but need to go quickly.

As a funny sidenote, some national tourists ought to receive 60 days visa exemption on June 1st, media channels talking it up and down, sideways and square, but what happened?

Since changing the default visa stamp is a very challenging affair, most if not of these affected tourists still get 30 days.

Last edited:
yes i saw that and i commented it.
It was a rule change in interpretation and not law. The law was always like now.

They cannot change again in the same sleazy way now, like with cannabis. They tried last year but failed so far. Cannabis is still everywhere even tho they said for sure gone end of april 2024.
This needs time even in banana republics.

dubai 90 days gets you tax certificate.
in phils you can do SIRV.
This is a good take. This time they need a law for that, not an interpretation from the Revenue Dept.

I would say they will eventually do it, perhaps starting from 2026 or something. They cannot do it for this year, same reason why they didn't do it earlier in 2023 for the remitted money. They can be bad, perhaps NOT this bad.

I just don't see the logic behind this: they rarely enforce anything, but this will keep away many wealthy, while all the communication has been around luring them to live in Thailand (perhaps just for 179 days then?).

Reactions: churumbelo
This is a good take. This time they need a law for that, not an interpretation from the Revenue Dept.

I would say they will eventually do it, perhaps starting from 2026 or something. They cannot do it for this year, same reason why they didn't do it earlier in 2023 for the remitted money. They can be bad, perhaps NOT this bad.

I just don't see the logic behind this: they rarely enforce anything, but this will keep away many wealthy, while all the communication has been around luring them to live in Thailand (perhaps just for 179 days then?).
Not really - we can just dance around the world for 7 months after deferring dividends for years and then come back and only be taxed on the remittance

This fucks the people working illegally in the country or those that live hand to mouth in a manner of speaking

Not really - we can just dance around the world for 7 months after deferring dividends for years and then come back and only be taxed on the remittance

This fucks the people working illegally in the country or those that live hand to mouth in a manner of speaking
I didn’t get this, can you elaborate?

Oh, perhaps you meant not distributing the dividends for years (would be taxed as income, that's crazy), postponing it to a year where you won't be resident. I see your point.

But again.. let's wait and see; this needs a law, and many people will try to influence the way to that; last year's amendment, even if it wasn't expected, was much easier to achieve (and I do think it will backfire, but I get their point).

Last edited:
Philippines as I said. And you can be up to 3 years on a tourist visa + extensions. Territorial system and they haven't signed CRS.
After long time research, i found out that Philipines will NOT issue tax residency certificate to any foreigner (non-citizen). Therefore we will have many issues, and is not for me. I need to find other option. Malaysia does though. But what to do in Malaysia?
Looking for other options, ideally that will not need to stay 183 days to take tax residency, and will be having 0% tax in wordlwide income OR/and dividends.
Any ideas please??

This thread is about Thailand tax residency, open a new one to receive help. For example i can't give you any help if you come out of the blue asking for 0% tax residency without explaining first if you will be running your business from this country or you are receiving foreign income without your involvement.
Is there any way to contact you directly somehow? Thank you very much!!!

you can get everything there. But its slow.
For fast issues, Dubai is better.
Wrong answer, they don't give Tax residence certificate to individual foreigners, FYI.
If you find the way that I get it woud a great, but they don't.

After long time research, i found out that Philipines will NOT issue tax residency certificate to any foreigner (non-citizen). Therefore we will have many issues, and is not for me. I need to find other option. Malaysia does though. But what to do in Malaysia?
Looking for other options, ideally that will not need to stay 183 days to take tax residency, and will be having 0% tax in wordlwide income OR/and dividends.
Any ideas please??
Looking at the more exotic options:

How about Taiwan? No tax on income from abroad, you'd have to check the residency options though.

I think Vanuatu offers the same, and you could even get not only residency, but a passport/citizenship for 150K (for a whole family) there in very short time via donation. I think 50K of it you'd get back after 5 years, so it's just 100K actually.

These are just ideas, do your own research to be sure.

Any ideas please??

Is there any way to contact you directly somehow? Thank you very much!!!

Wrong answer, they don't give Tax residence certificate to individual foreigners, FYI.
If you find the way that I get it woud a great, but they don't.
I found a way, you might dont like it. You will find it too if youre fam with the region. But you gotta go there yourself. ;)

I recently got rejected a Tax ID Number (TIN) from the Revenue Department in Thailand, after staying more than 6 months last year in Thailand.

They said that I must have a "long term" visa, and that neither the education visa that I have, nor an Elite visa, are valid to be a tax resident in Thailand.

How is that possible? Shouldn't you be allowed to pay taxes in the country if you are spending the majority of the year in it?

I need the tax id to show it to the bank on my local country, in order to avoid my account getting blocked. - Is there any other option I have to get a TIN to use for my local banks?
What are you doing for a living in Thailand if I may ask ?