Our valued sponsor

I have the feeling that the bitcoin value is collasping

Thought I was a genius. Thought is was collapsing. Actually...it did. And it came back 20x stronger.
Yeah holding some coins will not hurt if you bought them that low. Stupid to sell if the only risk is 400 or 500$ !

Up what 4% since you posted this,

Bitcoin is more stable and gaining more momentum than pretty much anything else in 2020.

Going back the last 12 years, same pattern.

I bought bitcoin at $200. I old it at $1000.

Thought I was a genius. Thought is was collapsing. Actually...it did. And it came back 20x stronger.

2017 was not even close to bitcoin's biggest dump and it has never had more support than it does right now. Could it lose half its value tommorrow? Yes. But at this point I think traditional financial markets have better odds of doing that.
I met guys who were shorting bitcoin from three digits, they never learned and continued to do that. Most people have a biased opinion and seem no one cares about rough numbers. This is a huge paradox, people who hate bitcoin helped him to reach new highs because they thought that they are significant players in this game :)

Reactions: Spinat
Not that BAD reading @LouisB I'm sure you want to tell us who these players are right?

Former Goldman Execs and JP Morgan Execs are pumping BTC & scam unsophisticated investors. That's the whole play here.

Ask any person who Hold BTC, They have no idea about Bonds.

BTC or any other s**t coin is basically an abstraction layer that resemble traditional markets that's why there are huge cult around it. People from third world countries and s**t holes has no idea about traditional markets hence they buy BTC then rekt later.

Imagine, what would happen to BTC if everyone start to hold it. Just alone look, I knew some one who is desperate to buy 5k BTC but there are no sellers not even in OTC's.

It's better to invest on Arts than BTC. This is not a financial advice.

5000 BTC can be easily done with a regulated OTC desk, with a small premium around spot price and without slippage (main goal if otc). I know a lot of those otc desk and onboarding is done in 48h, settlement done in the same day.

also some gov have really great funds in BTC
Yes, definitely. If I'm correct Bulgaria keeps some amount, USA also had a lot but sold it to the highest bidder in an auction.

When I wrote that there is no concept of "seizure" and "countries", what I was referring to is the fact that when you hold your keys, it is the only type of asset that cannot be confiscated and taken away from you. Real estate can be seized or even nationalized; bank accounts can be frozen; EMI accounts can be frozen even more often; brokerage accounts can be seized; even cash and gold bars you carry in your car can be seized thanks to "civil asset forfeiture".

With Bitcoin the biggest threat to you is not the government/taxman/police, the biggest threat is you yourself. If you decide to custody your crypto, you should have a good setup (there are different types of wallets, different backups, multikey etc.) and you should be always paranoid.

If a country gets hold of some crypto, usually it happens in a situation when e.g. dark market operator's home is raided, he is arrested and convinced/forced into cooperating which means handing over your data, information about others etc. The crypto transfer could even be part of a plea bargain...

Then the second scenario is a country actually being active and purposefully mining, buying or stealing Bitcoin. There are some speculations of North Korea and Iran doing this but I have no insider info haha.

After all from March until today the bitcoin rised with more 10K US$

Bitcoin actually performed very well this year. The drop in March was correlated with equities - that was disappointing - but on the other hand nearby everything else crashed as well including gold. There was a moment this year when BTC crashed 40% in a day and the main reason why S&P500 crashed only 10-15% that day was probably that there are circuit breakers (pauses in trading) for the US stock market and liquidity of equities is much bigger. If equities were not "shielded" by this protection, I wouldn't be surprised if they crashed even more than Bitcoin and gold on that day.

The real question now is what will happen with US dollar as the world's reserve currency, with US debt and real interest rates in the developed world. I have a feeling it can't end very well for the US.

you can move them to a Ledger hardware wallet so no one can touch it?!
TBH, I don't trust ledger wallets as they are closed sourced and we will not ever know if they will install a backdoor in their products or not.

What I Always prefer is offline storage, something like cryptosteel products where you can store your seeds in fireproof, shockproof and waterproof stainless steel capsule or metal card.

• Love
Reactions: tellmehowitis
you can move them to a Ledger hardware wallet so no one can touch it?!

Fair enough but gov just needs to find involvement in crypto and they can audit you. It does not help that Ledgers website got hacked which is not a good look for a company selling a security product...lol. I think those would be tasty targets for taxman to go fishing for crypto.

Reactions: lory
TBH, I don't trust ledger wallets as they are closed sourced and we will not ever know if they will install a backdoor in their products or not.

What I Always prefer is offline storage, something like cryptosteel products where you can store your seeds in fireproof, shockproof and waterproof stainless steel capsule or metal card.
With enough lube you can even carry it up the a*s :D

Since I can't see a catch-all Bitcoin thread and this thread has a nice title o_O, I will make this it. Posting some observations and notes on my strategy from this bull and the next.

The below chart shows the top 40 coins from 24/25 Nov 2017, 2021 and a very speculative prediction for 2024.

Screenshot-at-2021-11-25-23-16-48.png

It has the market cap rank and category of the project. 2017 also has the 2021 rank. Only two increased in market cap rank from 2017 to 2021.

My thinking since 2017 was that this 2020- crypto bull market would see better gains for Ethereum as opposed to BTC, as people need to hold ETH to carry out transactions on the blockchain, and there are many good projects on the chain. This is some form of real demand. While at the time BTC was largely speculative. This is changing as BTC is increasingly seen as a store of value in a world of money printing, particularly used in the third world or corrupt regions; and it's now increasingly used with the Lightning Network, as in El Salvador.

You will also see that 2017 was the battle of the currencies, smart contracts were second order. 2021 has been the battle of the smart contracts, while a the second order has been gaming, DeFi and a few other projects, many of them relating the crypto infrastructure.

My prediction is that there will only be one currency in the top 40 in four years; and that a lot of the smart contracts will give way. Bitcoin will retain its top spot and much of the rest of the top 10 will be competing smart contact platforms. It is unlikely anything will challenge these, as smart contract platforms are the highest rung of the food chain. Everything else is built on top of them.

Then much of the top 11-20 and more trailing down will be 'infrastructure'. These are projects that provide services to decentralised applications, e.g. DeFi, games, marketplaces, governance etc. These are the second
order of the food chain. These are projects like decentralised storage, APIs/data feeds, IoT services, networking and computing.

There are also bridges, which will link chains, e.g. Polkadot. These are a bit of a cross between the level of a smart contract platform and infrastructure. If one is successful, I except it to gain a high cap. But as the space matures I expect to see the smart contracts thinned out to one primary platform (maybe Solana) and a secondary platform, which will cater to dinosaurs and/or niche interests. This is the way of online. One platform tends to dominate. I think BTC has sealed its domination of currencies. The dominant smart contract platform should seal its position between 2024-2028. The key to winning the smart contracts race is to get as many projects onto your chain as possible. So the likes of Solana should divert some of their development grants to new projects to throwing bungs to solid older projects to go multi-chain on their chain.

The third order will be end-user applications/sites, like DeFi exchanges, DeFi lending, gaming platforms, marketplaces, media platforms, advertising networks etc. This is by-and-large the end of the food chain. There can be child projects of these projects, but they will be weak. If you buy them, the best you can generally hope for is to get out on a pump and dump. As an example, see the performance of yield-farming projects. The more popular ones have all boomed and cratered.

In the above chart I have produced a highly speculative listing for 2024. This has been produced not so much for the names, but the categories - to outline my prediction for the next bull market in crypto infrastructure projects. There will no doubt be new projects in the top 40 at that point. Only 8% of 2017's projects remain in the top 40 today. I think that will increase into 2024 and would expect at least 1/3 of them to be projects from 2021 or earlier. However, crypto is a very FOMO and fresh news driven market, mainly traded by people who know nothing about finance or economics. But the space is maturing, and is becoming more predictable, as you can see by some of the patterns noted above.

I expect 2024 to see very strong rallies in various infrastructure projects. One or two might breach the top ten, like Chainlink and Uniswap (not really infrastructure), but they will fall away, as Chainlink and Uniswap have. These are second and third tier projects in the food chain. If I buy such projects I will be looking to sell if they reach such positions, above their place in the food chain; as I have done with both LINK and UNI in the last several months.

For the incoming crypto crash, which I suspect will hit in Q1-Q2 2022 - probably when Mt. Gox releases 150,000 BTC into the open - I will be selling everything, again; and sitting out. I will place a few shorts and maybe a long on the first bounce; and may take a shot at one of the few projects that steal the space, e.g. DGX and VEN in 2018. But I will be out lending USD and maybe PAXG on ten or so different platforms. December 17 - January 18 saw huge demand to borrow dollars. I earned 9% over three days in January. Very high demand for dollars after a parabolic boom and crash is one signals I will be looking for. Buy back in about one year after the crash, or technically speaking when it goes <= 30 on RSI with 1 week candles (BTC).I will then look at opportunities to lend, stake and pool these. Initially I will probably keep it with the strongest coins like SOL and BTC. And I will give it some time to see how other projects develop and then buy them. I am looking for projects that fit into what was mentioned above, good execution, good communication and most importantly a good team & advisers. It is not that difficult to spot. I bought three projects from 2017 - ENJ, BAT + MANA in 2020 on this criteria. I believe that, with the exception of Decred, that is all of the 2017 non-currency + non-smart contract projects that remained in the top 100.

There are still a lot of 2017 era projects that are low cap and worth considering for a buy next season. Anything that has managed to stay in the top 200 has done well to stand firm against the barrage of new FOMO-exchange-listing-fresh-news projects. And there are a lot of good ones outside of the top 200.

Ones that immediatley come to mind:

BAT
MANA (if it crashes)
ENJ
GNT
Livepeer
DENT

More speculative and long term:

AVA (more long term)
Proppy (more long term)
Aragon
Lbry/Odysee (SEC issue)
Presearch
MYST
Civic (if you want to invest in KYC)
Request Network

Depending on their pullbacks and prospects I am also interested in the coins of centralised exchanges: FTT, CRO, CEL + NEXO. There will be a PayPal of Crypto and it looks pretty certain it will be Crypto.com.

Another way of telling what coins are good is selling which coins Greyscale picks, which includes MANA and BAT. Also look at which websites are still popular in the bear (Alexa rank, Similar Web).

Whatever you choose, buy in early, hold through any pain, and don't sell until it goes completely parabolic. Maybe it doesn't perform very well. But you will likely do best buying a few you think are strong at the beginning and letting the chips fall where they may. Rather than constantly gambling on FOMO.

Last point. Avoid buying things that are not particularly crypto- or tech-centric. There have been projects that were quite far from this like old people's home management, mining, document management, hospital management. These are far too far down the line. What has done well has been projects relating to crypto, finance and gaming. Next will be more normie facing tech, like the Youtube replacement.

Latest Threads