Our valued sponsor

Living in the Cayman's how is it, how expensive is it?

How expansive is it for instant to Norway and Switzerland where stuff is ultra expensive ?
Norway and Switzerland have domestic production of a lot of things. Caymans basically don't. Everything has to be imported. Import tariffs are one of the very few sources of tax revenue.

Numbeo isn't perfect (self reported data and different quality/magnitude of sample sizes) but it can give you a pretty decent idea.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livi...Cayman+Islands&city1=Zurich&city2=George+Town
Cost of Living in George Town is 10.9% higher than in Zurich (without rent)
Cost of Living Including Rent in George Town is 19.9% higher than in Zurich
Rent Prices in George Town are 38.2% higher than in Zurich
Restaurant Prices in George Town are 3.4% higher than in Zurich
Groceries Prices in George Town are 8.0% higher than in Zurich
Local Purchasing Power in George Town is 47.6% lower than in Zurich

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livi...2=Cayman+Islands&city1=Oslo&city2=George+Town
Cost of Living in George Town is 40.9% higher than in Oslo (without rent)
Cost of Living Including Rent in George Town is 64.6% higher than in Oslo
Rent Prices in George Town are 126.7% higher than in Oslo
Restaurant Prices in George Town are 37.5% higher than in Oslo
Groceries Prices in George Town are 35.1% higher than in Oslo
Local Purchasing Power in George Town is 16.5% lower than in Oslo

It's crazy how expensive it is to live in the Cayman Islands, I didn't expect that. I know that the mentioned countries, Switzerland and Norway, are really expensive compared to, for example, Germany. On the other hand, I don't think the rich people living in the Caymans think much about how much they pay for a liter of milk.

Reactions: uranium
Norway and Switzerland have domestic production of a lot of things. Caymans basically don't. Everything has to be imported. Import tariffs are one of the very few sources of tax revenue.

Numbeo isn't perfect (self reported data and different quality/magnitude of sample sizes) but it can give you a pretty decent idea.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livi...Cayman+Islands&city1=Zurich&city2=George+Town
Cost of Living in George Town is 10.9% higher than in Zurich (without rent)
Cost of Living Including Rent in George Town is 19.9% higher than in Zurich
Rent Prices in George Town are 38.2% higher than in Zurich
Restaurant Prices in George Town are 3.4% higher than in Zurich
Groceries Prices in George Town are 8.0% higher than in Zurich
Local Purchasing Power in George Town is 47.6% lower than in Zurich

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livi...2=Cayman+Islands&city1=Oslo&city2=George+Town
Cost of Living in George Town is 40.9% higher than in Oslo (without rent)
Cost of Living Including Rent in George Town is 64.6% higher than in Oslo
Rent Prices in George Town are 126.7% higher than in Oslo
Restaurant Prices in George Town are 37.5% higher than in Oslo
Groceries Prices in George Town are 35.1% higher than in Oslo
Local Purchasing Power in George Town is 16.5% lower than in Oslo
I must say these prices are very high.

When one explores moving offshore, they definitely need to examine a source like this, because when wanting to enjoy your life, you might spend more money on fees, generic items being so expensive, and just the obvious lack of activities when living on an island. After seeing this data, I would say it makes so much more sense for somebody to settle in the Caucasus and Eastern Europe (of course not for everyone but I see it as very appealing and fitting for a wide 'audience') - sure the company has to maybe 10% in taxes after some basic optimization, and sure you may be paying something a little above that for yourself, but the costs for the actual lifestyle are also completely different.

I was expecting maybe 100-150% prices in George Town than my residence in Bucharest but Numbeo suggests a 237% increase. See: Cost of Living Comparison Between Bucharest, Romania And George Town, Cayman Islands

0% tax is visibly appealing and attractive until you realise you pay the same amount in import duties, visa fees and bureaucracy and end up living in a place where everything has to be imported and you can drive across the whole island within a couple hours. And you can't work with easily accessible (+ crypto-friendly and insured/safeguarded) corporate banking (Revolut Bank, easy PIs/EMIs, relatively reliable local banks in Visegrad 4 countries, Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia) because instead you have tens (if not hundreds) of thousands in minimum deposits, sometimes difficult processing depending on Cayman banks' correspondent (Although they are mostly better than other Carribean places).

I would like to thank the moderator @Sols for the idea to explore Numbeo. The local self-reported data for Bucharest looks pretty accurate so I feel that this can provide people with a useful insight.