Our valued sponsor

Looking for efficient tax setup for Cryptocurrency trading utilizing offshore shell and EU residency

Hinoki

Dec 7, 2020
Visit site
I have just found you all and what I great forum this is! Thank you for any help, ideas, thoughts and opinions on my post. As a cryptocurrency investor and trader I am seeking to find an efficient tax situation in the EU. I would like to move from the high tax country I currently am in and position myself in a friendlier tax environment for my investing/trading activites. I started trading and reporting on personal income but the trading size and gains call for a change in how I structure these activities....which led me to researching about incorporating a business offshore. My thoughts so far is establishing a residence in Portugal and through their Non habitual tax residency regime I could than setup a offshore investing company and pay dividends to myself. The offshore company would need to be within a country that has a Double taxation agreement with Portugal and the income would need to be sourced their. WIth crypto I am not sure how the sourced part works. I have been looking into a non resident offshore company in cyprus or ireland. From what I gather there would be a 12.5% corporate tax and the dividend in theory could be realized in portugal tax free on that end......This is all very new to me and I am trying my best to research and would appreciate any advise or thoughts on an efficient situation to set up. I am not stuck to the portugal idea but open to learn more. Thank you so much

Reactions: khinkali and Retrix
I spent the day reading through the forums regarding this subject. It seems the Portugal option is a bit of a grey area and from what I gather from others thoughts on the NHR regime it is more complicated than I thought for my situation. I just want to be able to invest and occasionally swing trade large positions in the cryptocurrency market for the next few years than move on to where I want to retire. I dont know how Portugal would view the situation if I incorporate offshores in malta, cyprus, ireland etc... and than proceed to pay the dividend to myself. Investing and swing trading doesnt really fall in the category of passive investment and I would be physically managing my trading accounts in Portugal. It is unclear to me what the best tax rate I could get in Portugal concerning the above. It still must be better than Germany where I currently reside....I have entertained the idea of staying in Germany and what the best tax rate could be....seems 33% at absolute best ouch. I could be wrong? This has led me to also research becoming a resident in ireland and how their 12.5% corporate tax would work . I than have the issue of dividends to myself and that tax rate....need to dig further and learn much more. I am enjoying the process and learning the new vocabulary. I am all ears and any adivse, thoughts or recommendations I appreciate.

Reactions: khinkali

Latest Threads