Our valued sponsor

Need Advice in Offshore Company formation

offsh

Offshore Agent
Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm a software developer and I'm planing to sell a mobile application on Google Play.

To do this my country must be in the Google's list of supported locations.

I am a resident of the EU but to my regret there are no my country in this list.

Currently, only developers in the below countries may sell paid applications:

•Argentina

•Australia

•Austria

•Belgium

•Brazil

•Canada

•Czech Republic

•Denmark

•Finland

•France

•Germany

•Hong Kong

•Ireland

•Israel

•Italy

•Japan

•Mexico

•Netherlands

•New Zealand

•Norway

•Poland

•Portugal

•Russia

•Singapore

•Spain

•South Korea

•Sweden

•Switzerland

•Taiwan

•United Kingdom

•United States

I'm looking for advice what offshore scheme can I use in my business to avoid taxes in my country and to be able to sell applications on Google Play.

I'm thinking of forming an offshore company along with a UK company and get a bank account in UK for this company. What do you think about this?

I will apreciate any ideas and help.

What you may look into would be a European company for instant in the UK which is owned by a Offshore company. If you would like to avoid that the payment processor has to do DD on both the UK company and the offshore company then you should form the UK company first, apply for the merchant account and once approved and integrated you form the offshore company to let them hold all shares in the UK company. That should work.

Thanks for the advice. What type of UK company would you advice to form?

I would like to setup a structure where I would pay yearly fixed fee for offshore company instead of UK taxes.. is it possible?

A simple LTD should do it, actually we do not operate in the UK and for that reason can't help.

To avoid the UK taxes you may consult some professional i.e. tax adviser, tax consultant who may help you to structure everything. I think it should be possible.

Depending on the needs and size of the business you might also go try and read-up on Singapore. Opening a subsidiary company there is easy although the fees incl. nominees (required) would reach around $5k for 1st and around 2-3k for following years. The upside is that Singapore uses territorial rules for taxation, so company income originated abroad is tax-exempt and for income within Singapore it's a flat 17% rate for non-resident companies. You'd have to read about foreign/local source definition to avoid surprises though.

Singapore is still a very good jurisdiction to incorporate, but it's not suitable for small companies as the costs to incorporate and maintain the company are quite high. Hong Kong, for example, is equally reputable and much cheaper. No local director is required for Hong Kong. The directors and shareholders can even be other companies (including offshore companies), which means your name is nowhere in Hong Kong public records.

To incorporate in Hong Kong, expect to pay around 1,500 to 2,500 USD.

It is generally not possible to open bank accounts in Hong Kong without visiting the bank in person. The banks insist on meeting you in person.

Why would Singapore not be worth it? AFAIK not much is changing in the Lion City. In fact, it's a pretty good place to establish a business since it's a hub opening you to Southeast Asia. And if you would consider to turn your company into a resident one, there's a lot of capital for IT flowing around. Plenty of VC funds, government funds and quite a lot of talent - the IT community is quite strong there.

As for bank accounts the companies that assist you in setting up the business will help you open an account as well, just need to check all details with them. However, if you start off as a non-resident company then big banks will have big requirements (e.g. 100k USD deposit upon opening). You'd have to look around for other solutions. But you can easily Google up a few companies in SG and they can tell you more via e-mail.

PS. And since you're into apps then InMobi, the largest independent ad network, has their big office there too, good place to connect. And of course Google has their SEAsian HQ there as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
A Singapore company requires a local, resident director and that drives the costs a lot.

Singapore is a fantastic jurisdiction to do business in. Taxation is low and simplistic. Filing is straight-forward. The government is responsive and helpful, and banks are some of the best in the world. But for a non-resident looking for a reputable jurisdiction to start up a one-man operation, Hong Kong offers much cheaper solutions.

Yes Singapore requires a local director, but that's what I included above - it's covered by the nominee services and there can be other, non-resident directors appointed for the purpose of running the business from abroad. Rough cost of a nominee director service in SG is around 1500-2000USD per year. The complete maintenance costs (incl. company secretary services, virtual office, account etc.) can range between 2-3k a year. That's why I also mentioned - depending on the size of the business it can be a good place to incorporate.

In fact if the business is small I would even opt for starting the IT business in Singapore, as the corporate taxation is effectively 0% for the first 3 years up to 80k USD in revenues. The huge upside to this is the fact that Singapore offers a lot of opportunities to get financing from local investors and the government, which is helping IT businesses. The IT community is also very vibrant and some of the largest corporations have their local HQs there.

There's no good or bad answer here, all depends on the needs and the current situation of the company.

I agree with tarous, for simply Internet business which is a start-up or where one know it never will be something big you can start out with a Seychelles company, if it is well established business and you plan to expand your business to the Asian and need staff, office etc. Singapore may be one of the best places doing so.

But the fact of the matter is, you don't have to be in need of staff. Singaporean company can be directed completely from overseas without you ever coming to the Lion City. For IT though, there are certain perks which make SG quite attractive - it's more about weighing all the pro's and con's in a specific situation. Singapore alone can act as an offshore destination - either you incorporate just there and enjoy the perks (tax-exemptions and easy financing for start-ups) or you form an IBC in Seychelles and a subsidiary in Singapore - and, with proper accounting, can be fully tax-exempt on foreign-sourced income.

Now, whether that's the ideal solution I don't know - I know far too little about other jurisdictions. I just happen to live in Malaysia and travel very often to Singapore, so I know the environment very well :) It's quite possible that other solutions, involving UK companies, are better for you - that I don't know, depends on your plans.

offsh said:
I'm a software developer and I'm planing to sell a mobile application on Google Play.
To do this my country must be in the Google's list of supported locations.

I am a resident of the EU but to my regret there are no my country in this list.

Currently, only developers in the below countries may sell paid applications:

•Argentina

•Australia

•Austria

•Belgium

•Brazil

•Canada

•Czech Republic

•Denmark

•Finland

•France

•Germany

•Hong Kong

•Ireland

•Israel

•Italy

•Japan

•Mexico

•Netherlands

•New Zealand

•Norway

•Poland

•Portugal

•Russia

•Singapore

•Spain

•South Korea

•Sweden

•Switzerland

•Taiwan

•United Kingdom

•United States

I'm looking for advice what offshore scheme can I use in my business to avoid taxes in my country and to be able to sell applications on Google Play.

I'm thinking of forming an offshore company along with a UK company and get a bank account in UK for this company. What do you think about this?

I will apreciate any ideas and help.
May I ask you where you got this information from, please post a link or type in the url if possible. I can't either understand why Cyprus is not on this list.