Our valued sponsor

New Zealand 4 year Temporary Tax Exemption for new residents

SiriusX

Apr 28, 2023
Europe
Visit site
I have been looking into moving to New Zealand from a high tax EU country. Has anybody any experience with this 4 year exemption? I have crypto, stocks etc... and would like to put these into a foreign llc or trust in order to sell and distribute profits as dividends in New Zealand down the line.

Reactions: troubled soul
This is interesting. Yes, it seems that you could sell your crypto and stocks in New Zealand tax-free, according to this: Taxation in New Zealand: 4 years tax exemption for new tax residents.

If you're just looking for a country to sell your crypto and stocks though, you may have better options. Thailand, Laos, Uruguay are all cheaper, easier to become a resident of and you'll get the same tax-free treatment for foreign capital gains (Laos has a 2% capital gains tax though, but still).

This is interesting. Yes, it seems that you could sell your crypto and stocks in New Zealand tax-free, according to this: Taxation in New Zealand: 4 years tax exemption for new tax residents.

If you're just looking for a country to sell your crypto and stocks though, you may have better options. Thailand, Laos, Uruguay are all cheaper, easier to become a resident of and you'll get the same tax-free treatment for foreign capital gains (Laos has a 2% capital gains tax though, but still).
Thank you for your reply.
It looks like a pretty solid path so far from what I have read. I will ultimately have to consult with a tax attorney in NZ before doing the jump.

Those south east asian countries I am sure are easier to do but I actually would like to settle in NZ for long term and raise a family there.

Reactions: scooterguy
Thank you for your reply.
It looks like a pretty solid path so far from what I have read. I will ultimately have to consult with a tax attorney in NZ before doing the jump.

Those south east asian countries I am sure are easier to do but I actually would like to settle in NZ for long term and raise a family there.
I did some quick checks last week as well. The easiest path to get a residency should be the 50k usd investment entrepreneur visa.

All the other stuff looks like a real pain to even read through.