Our valued sponsor

Tyler Durden

Oct 27, 2016
Visit site
Hi there

I have a question regarding nominee directors for offshore companies. Does using a nominee director make it easier to open a bank account?

As an example, if I register a Seychelles IBC and have a nominee director and I wish to open a bank account in Cyprus, will the nominee director need to provide his / her details in order to open the bank account or will I need to provide my personal details?

What is the ultimate benefit of having a nominee director?

Also, has it become harder to open a bank account in Cyprus in recent times?

You want to check this agent's faq. F.A.Q. Learn how you start a offshore company with bank account it goes in details with the required documents. Personally all I can see is that they require more documents now and they take longer to get the account approved but other than that nothing has changed.

I have not seen more clients get declined than before, you can also check the forum no really complains about declines specific.

One agent told me it was easier to open a bank account from a nominee director because she said the bank knew the nominee director. However, i wonder if it is true or if it was intended to sell the nominee director service with a monthly signatory fees (150 euros on average)

Does using a nominee director make it easier to open a bank account?
I say it makes it more complicated since you will need to have the nominees to sign the bank application but you will have to sign too! Anyway most often the nominee is already known by the bank so it's not a big issue.

Reactions: adoffshore
One agent told me it was easier to open a bank account from a nominee director because she said the bank knew the nominee director.
I would anytime say it is the exact same. If the bank is already knowing the nominee then it is not a problem. But take care if they don't know the nominee and the agent fails to provide his/her DD documents then you are lost and left with a company where you are unable to get a bank account for.

Reactions: adoffshore
Can a friend be nominee director & shareholder?

From what I've seen, "nominee" means that an agent provides a service where the agent knows someone who is willing to act as the company representative on paper. If you trust your friend and are ready to make legal paperwork where you assert that he only acts as the nominee one, you being the UBO, I can't see why wouldn't that be allowed.

Rest assured, if you go this route, be 100% sure you trust your friend. Anyone who is marked as the owner of the company has real power to change its operations.

Reactions: JohnLocke
Ah, I didn't know that you only have 2 minutes to edit a post here! I'd like to add to my previous post:

Nominees provided by agents however has a chance they are residents of the offshore jurisdiction, this can have some advantages like additional legal protection or simplified governmental interaction. If in doubt check with the agent if your friend can act as the nominee.

Reactions: bonox and JohnLocke
Rest assured, if you go this route, be 100% sure you trust your friend. Anyone who is marked as the owner of the company has real power to change its operations.
second that...

Hi there

I have a question regarding nominee directors for offshore companies. Does using a nominee director make it easier to open a bank account?

As an example, if I register a Seychelles IBC and have a nominee director and I wish to open a bank account in Cyprus, will the nominee director need to provide his / her details in order to open the bank account or will I need to provide my personal details?

What is the ultimate benefit of having a nominee director?

Also, has it become harder to open a bank account in Cyprus in recent times?
I have been informed that the nominee needs to provide passport and utility bill thats why it most often is better to aks the agent if the nominees are known to the bank already! Consider this to be an issue if you at any point want to use a bank that is not connected to the agent providing the nominees! You will need to get the passport copy and utility bill from the nominees!

Do they require more documentation or justification or do they decline applications more frequently?
They require a business description + CV for each director and shareholder! They also require a Analytic business description which is more like a infographics easy to do but still additional task. Anyway I was in my local bank today to ask them for a account opening procedure they told me they had to be more strict and collect information they wasn't required to collect before.

Seems the European Union sucks for banking!

Reactions: Tyler Durden
They require a business description + CV for each director and shareholder! They also require a Analytic business description which is more like a infographics easy to do but still additional task. Anyway I was in my local bank today to ask them for a account opening procedure they told me they had to be more strict and collect information they wasn't required to collect before.

Seems the European Union sucks for banking!

Out of interest, in which jurisdiction did you open your bank account?

They require a business description + CV for each director and shareholder! They also require a Analytic business description
This sounds like Cyprus or am I wrong :)?

Sadly it is required. You are depending on the agent that may already have everything in place with the bank for his nominees!

Reactions: brutalzorn
Ah, I didn't know that you only have 2 minutes to edit a post here! I'd like to add to my previous post:

Nominees provided by agents however has a chance they are residents of the offshore jurisdiction, this can have some advantages like additional legal protection or simplified governmental interaction. If in doubt check with the agent if your friend can act as the nominee.
Are you using nominees for any of your companies? how do you deal with contractors of the company then? I have a situation where the nominee director refuse to sign the contract :(

Reactions: brutalzorn