Our valued sponsor

Personal HK bank account

If you check the forum, there are quite some people that were able to do so.

https://www.offshorecorptalk.com/threads/personal-hk-bank-account.43544/post-285524
Don't believe this BS.
Been an HK HSBC Premier for over a decade.

Had people, living in HK, who didn't believe how come I had an account with HSBC despite them being living there and with cash to deposit. And this was well before CRS.

There's no chance they will open your account remotely. Definitely not for a normal account. Then you are able to believe anything

Reactions: uranium
  • Love
Reactions: jafo
Are we getting off topic now ?

Reactions: Forester and jafo
Are we getting off topic now ?
I am (low-key) insinuating to OP that a visit is needed for something like this. Most things can be resolved face-to-face. Inviting your banker to dinner at Man Wah is (almost) guaranteed to land you an account, and OP gets to enjoy the trip and some of the best cuisine Hong Kong has to offer. The banker will have actual photos of the OP at Man Wah. ;)

All OP has to do is juxtapose the "Options"

1712881616353.webp

If the banker seems "unimpressed/disinterested," I would kindly ask him to refer me to his personal favorite "service provider" with whom he works so I can invite the service provider to dinner at Man Wah and discuss my business/wealth management.

Or...OP can be magnanimous and invite his own service provider if he thinks that would help. ;)

I lost count of how many accounts I opened in Hong Kong by inviting bankers to dinner at Man Wah or other equally impressive restaurants. All I know for sure is that NOT a single account has been denied using this method or similarly effective sugarcoating strategies.

PS. Now, the cat is OUT of the bag! stupi#21

I set up an account with Hang Seng through their Causeway Bay branch, thanks to an HK banker I know. They wanted at least 500k in there and suggested investing in their indexes, but I found a clever way to sidestep that requirement. It's handy for handling big transactions in Asia, and it's a nice middle ground between Dubai, the USA, and Singapore.
500k in which currency?

I lost count of how many accounts I opened in Hong Kong by inviting bankers to dinner at Man Wah or other equally impressive restaurants. All I know for sure is that NOT a single account has been denied using this method or similarly effective sugarcoating strategies.
how many of these accounts that didn't get denied are opened ?

how many of these accounts that didn't get denied are opened ?
All of them!

Before you visit Hong Kong, swing by Confiserie Sprüngli on Bahnhofstrasse 67, buy two 500-gram boxes of Pralines & Truffles, and take one for the banker's children/wife and one for his parents. ;)

It's the same as a wife or girlfriend: if we stop giving her presents, chocolate, and flowers, she'll dump us and find someone else who does. smi(&% ;)

Would it be possible to fly to Hong Kong to open a personal HSBC One account with a neutral passport?

Trying to determine if flying there will be a waste of time, or if this is something they do.
Try to open it online first. Please do not use any US phone number, US IP address or anything US. If this does not work, you can still fly there. Just be prepared to be rejected as they do not open anything for anybody anymore.

And yes @TRGali if you are Premier elsewhere, they will open another Premier account in HK for sure. But in general HK banks have become quite selective. Not sure what you need to account for, but be prepared to come up with a good explanation. If you just want an account, you may have better luck in Australia with HSBC, they are know to be more open to open.

Try to open it online first. Please do not use any US phone number, US IP address or anything US. If this does not work, you can still fly there. Just be prepared to be rejected as they do not open anything for anybody anymore.

And yes @TRGali if you are Premier elsewhere, they will open another Premier account in HK for sure. But in general HK banks have become quite selective. Not sure what you need to account for, but be prepared to come up with a good explanation. If you just want an account, you may have better luck in Australia with HSBC, they are know to be more open to open.
Thanks for the responses.

My explanation would be: I have residency in the SEA region and travel a lot within Asia (but never to HK) plus have international income. So living in the region + international lifestyle and wanting a reputable banking partner for the long term (personal account only). The account will get all my personal income paid into it every month and used as my main personal account with cards and all.

Think that's convincing enough?

Unfortunately I don't have premier or any other HSBC accounts anywhere.

Regarding Australia, I never knew they opened accounts for non-resident foreigners. I will look into this.

Reactions: mraleph and jafo
I have residency in the SEA region and travel a lot within Asia (but never to HK) plus have international income. So living in the region + international lifestyle and wanting a reputable banking partner for the long term (personal account only). The account will get all my personal income paid into it every month and used as my main personal account with cards and all.
I would definitely go for e.g. SC Singapore instead of HSBC HK with this setup.
a) SC is IMO way better than HSBC.
b) Onboarding in SG remarkably easier (for personal premier accounts).

Just my 2 cents :)

Re: HK, @jafo gave a very good recipe here Personal HK bank account :) Consider it ;)

Would it be possible to fly to Hong Kong to open a personal HSBC One account with a neutral passport?

Trying to determine if flying there will be a waste of time, or if this is something they do.
what is a neutral passport?
Your money is as good as everyone else's, esp now after HK got decimated and heaps of it went to Singapore.

My explanation would be: I have residency in the SEA region and travel a lot within Asia (but never to HK) plus have international income. So living in the region + international lifestyle and wanting a reputable banking partner for the long term (personal account only). The account will get all my personal income paid into it every month and used as my main personal account with cards and all.
can work esp. if you have a residency visa in sea. Add an investment twist and a higher balance to it (higher means lower 6 digit usd) to make it more interesting.

Unfortunately I don't have premier or any other HSBC accounts anywhere.

Regarding Australia, I never knew they opened accounts for non-resident foreigners. I will look into this.
HK has other good banks than HSBC only, they have the singapore banks and SC and and and.
Since youre in sea, you maybe find one which has branches in both.

Last edited:
Reactions: jafo and MrBaggins

No. They normally want local transactions.

Yes. I would recommend checking there.

HK has other good banks than HSBC only, they have the singapore banks and SC and and and.
Back of China usually works best in you case.