Our valued sponsor

Secure smartphone, untraceable?

burden

Mentor Group Gold
Jun 21, 2016
Visit site
Most if not all SIM cards are traceable, they provide the operator with information about where you are, when you used your phone the last time with date & time stamp and from which location you made your last phone call.

What about secured phone, with encryption and what else they can do today, do they provide 100% privacy and are secure to use?

something like this

Last edited by a moderator:
There are tons of ways to trace and tap you using this setup.
It’s usually better to avoid voice communication at all
It shouldn't be traceable as long as both people are using the exact same setup and only texting via Signal. VPN + IRC or XMPP is a good alternative as well.

As always, it depends on who is after you - don't forget secure comms is just one part of the whole story.

Reactions: Spinnaker
There are tons of ways to trace and tap you using this setup.
It’s usually better to avoid voice communication at all
Yup. Do not use regular telecommunications, do everything via an End-to-end encrypted channel. SMS & GSM etc are completely useless for privacy. Your gov't can intercept all of your communications.

Reactions: JohnnyDoe
Learn from history about so called secure phones @NicolasMaduro is not wrong. Never ever trust one.

If you need to communicate something securely do it in person.
Better to use off the shelf phones with proper encryption. If its done correctly, the FBI can't do much. Communicating secretly is very easy. It's just that usually people are the weak link and it all falls apart no matter how secure the tech is.

Reactions: burden
Signal requires a phone number for signing up. How can it be acceptable?
Yep, a complete joke. I'll never sign up for exactly that reason.

BTW, y'all should read about the Anom messaging app. It's an infamous case of the FBI hosting their own "encrypted" messaging app that actually provided full visibility into your comms for the FBI

Last edited:
Dear comrades,
I do agree with most of you. There's no such thing as 100% secure communications. When it's about voice sometimes we must say what we need to say in person. With text and file encryption still I trust in GPG/PGP despite it's not a really friendly system. My setup: an air-gapped computer without hard disk and running TAILS from a pendrive. When there is an OS update I perform it from another TAILS. The private keys are kept in a PERSISTANT space of the pendrive. Any encryption and decryption process is done off-line. A little paranoid, isn't it? :D

that is the easy part... can get all I want totally anonymous where I live.

The phone is the biggest issue... what about these old Nokia phone (not smart phones) simple GSM are they more secure ?
No... GSM is unsecure!!! Stop thinking old = simple therefore secure. It's not.

A smartphone with a VPN and secure messaging app / voip will always beat anything else. Then if you mix in IMEI changing etc it will be even better. Believe it or not, the phone is NOT the biggest issue. The telecom part is. Everything else you can just kind of shop around and get the best.

Dear comrades,
I do agree with most of you. There's no such thing as 100% secure communications. When it's about voice sometimes we must say what we need to say in person. With text and file encryption still I trust in GPG/PGP despite it's not a really friendly system. My setup: an air-gapped computer without hard disk and running TAILS from a pendrive. When there is an OS update I perform it from another TAILS. The private keys are kept in a PERSISTANT space of the pendrive. Any encryption and decryption process is done off-line. A little paranoid, isn't it? :D
There are 100% secure communications... it's called encryption.. the problem is not in the communications but the technology of how you connect to the internet, there's a lot of ways the authorities can track your regular telecommunications. IMEI SIN etc all are tied to some kind of database listing SOME info. Even if you get a prepaid card that will narrow you down to some country or region or even city. And if you're using that same device well now its connecting to the nearest cell tower and they have a pretty accurate location of where you are. Point is, you should make it so that it's not possible for them to even get to the point where they can get enough info to start tracking you.

Btw, with all of your tails setups etc, it may be surprising how they actually track you. For example, your style of writing, your interests that you may reveal here etc. Its all quite the things you don't pay attention to. For example, I see you have a habit of CAPITALIZING your words to emphasize them. Or how you use the word "Comrade". This would be something that one would use to narrow down "suspects". The FBI caught a darkweb forum admin in this way. They found him because he used the word "hiya". He forgot to lock his laptop for a minute and the FBI had all their hands on it.

Last edited:
It's acceptable as long as you get an anonymous, prepaid SIM card without an ID
It can be. I've bought a bunch of pre-activated sim-cards recently in a train station in south america, without a passport.

However, once you change, or loose, your physcial phone, how are you going to login back to your Signal account on a new phone (device)? You may no longer have your original sim card to enter OTP that would be sent to it. Or it may be long expired and hence non active. Or it may not work in your current country.

No... GSM is unsecure!!! Stop thinking old = simple therefore secure. It's not.

A smartphone with a VPN and secure messaging app / voip will always beat anything else. Then if you mix in IMEI changing etc it will be even better. Believe it or not, the phone is NOT the biggest issue. The telecom part is. Everything else you can just kind of shop around and get the best.

There are 100% secure communications... it's called encryption.. the problem is not in the communications but the technology of how you connect to the internet, there's a lot of ways the authorities can track your regular telecommunications. IMEI SIN etc all are tied to some kind of database listing SOME info. Even if you get a prepaid card that will narrow you down to some country or region or even city. And if you're using that same device well now its connecting to the nearest cell tower and they have a pretty accurate location of where you are. Point is, you should make it so that it's not possible for them to even get to the point where they can get enough info to start tracking you.

Btw, with all of your tails setups etc, it may be surprising how they actually track you. For example, your style of writing, your interests that you may reveal here etc. Its all quite the things you don't pay attention to. For example, I see you have a habit of CAPITALIZING your words to emphasize them. Or how you use the word "Comrade". This would be something that one would use to narrow down "suspects". The FBI caught a darkweb forum admin in this way. They found him because he used the word "hiya". He forgot to lock his laptop for a minute and the FBI had all their hands on it.
very well explained, thank you.

What software would you suggest to use, for a noob it's impossible to discover the right one??

Reactions: lostguy

Latest Threads