Our valued sponsor

Strategies for living in the EU near tax-free with low profile

dissident

Jan 2, 2020
Visit site
Thinking about ways of living in the EU with a low profile and getting benefit of the 183 days rule in order to avoid tax residency status. Let's put a concrete example of one possible strategy:

Bob is a citizen of a high-tax large EU country (A). He moved to another EU country (B) for job reasons during several years, being able to move its tax residency status legally from country A to B.
Bob had no economic activity in country A for 3+ years, no passive income from there, no properties etc. At some point, he moves from country B to live in different EU countries avoiding become tax resident in any of them while being near tax-free in terms of income by using different structures outside EU.

Considering many EU countries has open frontiers with no ID controls, how could different governments know where Bob actually lives more than 183 days (or less) if the following conditions are met:

- Bob has no real state properties in any country.
- Bob has no registered car in any country.
- Bob has no passive income from any specific country.
- Bob has no registered rental contracts in any country.
- Bob is not married and has no children.
- Bob is not legally working nor carrying any specific business activities anywhere.
- Bob is not receiving any subsidies of any kind from any government.

Now, let's assume Bob follows these life style rules strictly:

- Rents properties using Airbnb, Booking or similar.
- Rents long-term properties using family or friend with no direct economic relationship.
- Covers daily life costs using a debit card from an offshore jurisdiction with no CRS.
- Moves across EU countries with a rented car hired by a friend.
- Uses mobile SIM cards registered by family or friends.
- Does not use any bank account in EU countries for income and payments.

Do you believe it is a solid strategy? If not, which red flags would be highlight?
Do you think it's a doable and relatively solid plan if consistently executed?

Moreover, let's assume Bob may spend more than 183 days in country A under these strategies:
- How could country's A government discover or prove Bob was actually living there for 183+ days?
- How could a government trace him for tax residency purposes, if any?

Thank you!

PS: this is nothing about anything dark or criminal, this is merely curiosity and challenge of finding ways where normal people still not trapped by the system can maximize its freedom by using fine-grained life-style changes.

Reactions: Spinat
Yeah, I believe so... also, Visa/Martercard/Maestro will probably soon act, if not already now in some countries, as a bank institution providing direct access to transaction history made by its users to the governments, hence entering into the CRS data exchange loop. In the end, when paying with cards in a physical place, the transaction is tied to a business location, so they can effectively geolocate where you have been each time.

Finance privacy is on its way to becoming a sweet dream from the past, I'm afraid. Even if you are willing to take strong lifestyle changes, there are things out of your control that is hard to avoid, unless you use trustees and mules, which would make things overcomplicated and worst in case of legal prosecution.

I guess the only reliable scape would be crypto, but it has also its own serious flaws.

I think this probably works if you are doing it in a low scale. You can open a company in let's say Bosnia or Macedonia, buy a car on it and driving around Europe without having to rent it. I often see cars that are not from the country and are registered using a company for another state for these purposes, most often the plates are from CZ, BiH, GE and less often Liechtenstein.
There are some limitations on the length of time you can be driving with this car in a given country, but considering you won't be more than 6 months in any country, should be good. You may need to drive it sometimes to the country where it is registered, maybe twice a year? I am not sure.
You can book your stays with the company card too using different OTAs, that is OTAs without reviews and without the need of having an account to book, ideally.
You are only left with your daily expenses, then.

I think this probably works if you are doing it in a low scale. You can open a company in let's say Bosnia or Macedonia, buy a car on it and driving around Europe without having to rent it.
How would you define low scale if you don't mine? I think this is something that work if you prepare it everything well, do proper research in Bosnia and Macedonia may not be a bad idea if you consider such countries.

How would you define low scale if you don't mine? I think this is something that work if you prepare it everything well, do proper research in Bosnia and Macedonia may not be a bad idea if you consider such countries.

If you spend less than 10k per month in EU, split in various different services and even different countries throughout the year. You can also give loans from yourself to your Macedonian company to fund your lifestyle (assuming that you don't want to spend nothing anywhere with a personal card). All seems legal, but the headache in my opinion is greater than just paying 10% tax and having much greater flexibility on what you can do.

Reactions: efai and clemens

Latest Threads