Our valued sponsor

The best top 10 cryptocurrency wallets?

lavel

Offshore Agent
Mentor Group Gold
Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I would like to know what the best cryptocurrency wallets are.

Starting out with these, please supply with what you use or think is the best crypto wallet for your use.
  • Blockchain
  • Exodus
  • Ledger
The one I have used the longest is blockchain.com which has been very secure for me for 8 years or more, never had a single problem with this wallet, nor with any of the other wallets I mentioned above.

Still I would like to know what your thoughts are and what you are using.

Reactions: JohnLocke and lory
Hot wallets, cold wallets, custodio wallets? What kind of wallet do you want?

To me: all wallets are almost the same, I have 14 wallets installed on my phone, a ledger x and a ledger s (ledger x is not worth it in my opinion)... If you ask me which I like the most I will say Trust Wallet

But again, to me all are almost the same as long as you have your keys

Let's see if I can get this together, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Hot Wallet
They are wallets primary connected to the Internet and they are used for all cryptocoins not just one or another.
Because they are connected instantly on the Internet they may not be as secure as offline wallets or what they are likely to be called. There are still 2FA and SMS confirmation before login that will secure a hot wallet but potential risk that such a wallet can be hacked is there.

Cold Wallet
That must be the opposite of the hot wallet, a wallet for cryptocurrency that is not connected to the Internet and which may be a piece of hardware itself like Ledger Nano S and other hardware wallets. You will need to install some desktop software on your Windows or Apple PC or you can download it to your smartphone. It will require a cable connected from your device with the Ledger software to the cold wallet.

Custodian Wallets
That's similar to an Escrow service but for cryptocurrency. It can only be a Hot Wallet which a third party has access to, whatever the use is for such a Custodian Wallet then it may not be something you can keep your crypto coins safe for long term holding.

I believe this sums it all up?

Let's see if I can get this together, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Hot Wallet
They are wallets primary connected to the Internet and they are used for all cryptocoins not just one or another.
Because they are connected instantly on the Internet they may not be as secure as offline wallets or what they are likely to be called. There are still 2FA and SMS confirmation before login that will secure a hot wallet but potential risk that such a wallet can be hacked is there.

Cold Wallet
That must be the opposite of the hot wallet, a wallet for cryptocurrency that is not connected to the Internet and which may be a piece of hardware itself like Ledger Nano S and other hardware wallets. You will need to install some desktop software on your Windows or Apple PC or you can download it to your smartphone. It will require a cable connected from your device with the Ledger software to the cold wallet.

Custodian Wallets
That's similar to an Escrow service but for cryptocurrency. It can only be a Hot Wallet which a third party has access to, whatever the use is for such a Custodian Wallet then it may not be something you can keep your crypto coins safe for long term holding.

I believe this sums it all up?

Hot wallet: A software have access to your private keys all the time, for example smartphone wallets, desktop wallets and custodio wallets... Doesn't need to be connected to internet to be considered a Hot wallet.

Cold wallet: private keys are not connected to a software all the time, for example a ledger or a trezor where you need to connect it to a device via usb or bluetooth to sign your transactions (some of these wallets even have a second step where they don't let the external software to have access to the private keys easily)

Custodio wallet: A Hot wallet where you don't have your own keys, instead the custodio have them

Reactions: sonato and lory
Custodio wallet: A Hot wallet where you don't have your own keys, instead the custodio have them
what would be the benefit of this?

Coinomi has been buggy for me, but I guess experiences can vary!
How long have you used it what did you experience of errors?

Otherwise Ledger hardware wallet is a must.
I have troubles to get my ledger to work well for me, it's complicated compared to software wallets.

I have troubles to get my ledger to work well for me, it's complicated compared to software wallets.
You can't keep a lot of crypto on a hot wallet, sure its more convenient but its more convenient for hackers as well.
When you have a significant amount of crypto its very important to take the time to learn to use it, its not that hard, just a bit annoying really.

what would be the benefit of this?
Easier to use and A LOT cheaper if you want to convert coins (and if you are into trading even cheaper). For most people around there, custodio wallets are enough because they don't have too much coins. Also custodio wallets offer perks like interest in your coins but that's another thing.

I see it like this: The cold wallet is your bank and is where most of your money should be, the hot wallet is the money you are OK to have in your pockets and the custodio is that service you use for some specific case

So you are using your cold wallet (that may be a ledger nano device) for storing your coins long term. Software wallets like Exodus and Blockchain.com are only for short storing, say you want to trade your coins often?

So what are some good cold wallets out there? Any recommendations from people who actually used them?
I have both Ledger models and also a Trezor one... To be honest, the ledger X s not worth the price, I really like it but is just too expensive to recommend for what it does. For cold wallets go with Trezor and Ledger since they are the most commonly used

Reactions: JohnLocke
don't forget that a ledger hardware wallet still requires copy of the seed somewhere ... this for me is the most annoying part, having to hide a piece of paper somewhere is really annoying and storing it online is a big risk.

we can see that crypto banks are going to be very popular fast ...

don't forget that a ledger hardware wallet still requires copy of the seed somewhere ... this for me is the most annoying part, having to hide a piece of paper somewhere is really annoying and storing it online is a big risk.

we can see that crypto banks are going to be very popular fast ...
All non-custodian wallets requires that no matter if is a cold or hot one... But yeah, banks won't disappear because there is a market for that (just like with crypto banks)

Reactions: JohnLocke
Nothing is ever 100% secure...

Compartmentalising is the thing. I have lots of "cells" where I have stored cryptos, gold backed stablecoins, metals held in escrow and EMI accounts. (This is all taxed, private assets)

If I lost one "cell" I won't lose more than 50-1000 dollars worth of assets at the most, so I'll survive even the worst of luck that could be losing 2-3 perhaps.

Recently I've started revising the passwords that I keep in Bitwarden with 2 prefixed letters that are taken from passwords I've used for years and will NOT forget.

This way I can print ALL the passwords and logins from Bitwarden & keep them in the safe + an alternate location. The two letters I'll text to my family and some close friends, who won't have access to the passwords unless something unforeseen happens.

I'll probably do something the same with seed phrases: storing half or most of them in Bitwarden, then sending a manual list to people I trust. Raw keys can also be split up.

I'd like to see the hacker that could crack that setup, even with social engineering added ;-) They'd basically have to KNOW that I add those letters when using the password manager!

Nothing is ever 100% secure...

Compartmentalising is the thing. I have lots of "cells" where I have stored cryptos, gold backed stablecoins, metals held in escrow and EMI accounts. (This is all taxed, private assets)

If I lost one "cell" I won't lose more than 50-1000 dollars worth of assets at the most, so I'll survive even the worst of luck that could be losing 2-3 perhaps.

Recently I've started revising the passwords that I keep in Bitwarden with 2 prefixed letters that are taken from passwords I've used for years and will NOT forget.

This way I can print ALL the passwords and logins from Bitwarden & keep them in the safe + an alternate location. The two letters I'll text to my family and some close friends, who won't have access to the passwords unless something unforeseen happens.

I'll probably do something the same with seed phrases: storing half or most of them in Bitwarden, then sending a manual list to people I trust. Raw keys can also be split up.

I'd like to see the hacker that could crack that setup, even with social engineering added ;-) They'd basically have to KNOW that I add those letters when using the password manager!
It's called keylogger. When you want to "hack" something you don't go to the most difficult part (decifrate the password), you start looking on how to make the victim give you the password which is way easier and with that they have access to the sites so they will know your cells and also your two letters at the beginning of each password.

That being said, I still think your method is safe since hackers most of the time only target big fishes (more rewards)... I only wanted to point out that there is always a method to steal you.

Latest Threads