Our valued sponsor

Wise CRS question

taoasher

Jun 4, 2022
Australia
Visit site
I moved from Australia, with a personal Wise account that's linked to my AU residency

I now live in Thailand, and am no longer an Au tax resident.

However I still want to use Wise for expenses, but don't want AU knowing about the income in there, because even though I'm not a resident I don't want them to challenge that.

If I changed my residency on Wise, would that avoid CRS reporting to AU?

I moved from Australia, with a personal Wise account that's linked to my AU residency

I now live in Thailand, and am no longer an Au tax resident.

However I still want to use Wise for expenses, but don't want AU knowing about the income in there, because even though I'm not a resident I don't want them to challenge that.

Afaik wise does not report under CRS I think you can mail their support.things might have changed now

Speak with their support they are very helpful and usually answer questions quickly.

Reactions: VESTANON
I believe Wise Thailand has not the same options as in Australia or EU, you can't have the local accounts not the debit card. I might be wrong as things might have changed.

If that's the case you risk your wise account will be only use for transfers and exchange.

Definitely if you don't want your country of citizenship know what you have, you should change residence.

If you do so please keep us updated if it's possible and you still have the same accounts / cards as in Australia

In worst case if Wise did CRS report it will be to both addresses as address change would occur during the financial year. If you want to be safer then don't transact on the account until following year any time you change address mid year.

I believe Wise Thailand has not the same options as in Australia or EU, you can't have the local accounts not the debit card. I might be wrong as things might have changed.

If that's the case you risk your wise account will be only use for transfers and exchange.

Definitely if you don't want your country of citizenship know what you have, you should change residence.

If you do so please keep us updated if it's possible and you still have the same accounts / cards as in Australia
Disagree, have a wise and have a card and address respective to same.

If you change your address you can still use your card but they won't send you a new one in the future, that's what happens.

Reactions: Benzouser
I’m in the same situation, left Australia and moved to Thailand with my AU-issued Wise card. When my card was about to expire, it coincided with a visit back to Australia so I simply changed my address in my Wise account to my (temporary) Australian one and had the new card sent there. As soon as I received it, I changed the address back to my Thai address.

Reactions: Benzouser
Wise have countries that they cannot send cards to. I don't know about other countries but in Turkey, they have been cancelling cards for any transactions made in Turkey. Lots of foreigners here have been complaining about it. Many people from the UK for example had accounts there and we spending with those cards in Turkey for years but not anymore.

Wise have countries that they cannot send cards to. I don't know about other countries but in Turkey, they have been cancelling cards for any transactions made in Turkey. Lots of foreigners here have been complaining about it. Many people from the UK for example had accounts there and we spending with those cards in Turkey for years but not anymore.
I doubt this is correct, because I have been using my Wise card for transactions in Turkey for long time. No problem so far.

I doubt this is correct, because I have been using my Wise card for transactions in Turkey for long time. No problem so far.
Well you can stick your head in the sand as long as you want. As with all EMI's, they don't do blanket bans or freeze accounts in waves. People get flagged and that's when it happens.

322489080_685350399697376_3073516016939681680_n.jpg

Reactions: Burak
I’m in the same situation, left Australia and moved to Thailand with my AU-issued Wise card. When my card was about to expire, it coincided with a visit back to Australia so I simply changed my address in my Wise account to my (temporary) Australian one and had the new card sent there. As soon as I received it, I changed the address back to my Thai address.
What kind of visas do you use to stay in Thailand ? Elite ? Are you tax resident in Thailand is the question
Whenever wise does start doing CRS in the future it will be to where you are tax resident.

I believe Wise already exchange information through CRS since they are a bank.

I recently heard from a person in Belgium who created a new wise account this year, all ready the all wise bank information is displayed in his digital online profile by the National bank. Twice a year the ending balance of all bank accounts on your name show up there (end of June balance and end of December balance).

Either this is related to CRS or because Wise is registered as a Belgian bank in EU.

Wise likely do some form of exchange.

But even if the account is registered as Australia and you live in Thailand then it's a cock up on data transfer opposed to having to worry about the Australian gov as you are registered or not a Aus tax payer.

I had a wise account and had been tax reg in asia for a decade before realising it was still showing as another country, just updated it, my country doesn't charge tax if non-resident for example.