Our valued sponsor

Any country in Europe to rent small apartment online without living there?

ow do you guys mnage this because in some countries the local police man comes to verify you actually stay there, though i dont know how quickly they give up if you arent home
Can you explain why they would do that?

ow do you guys mnage this because in some countries the local police man comes to verify you actually stay there, though i dont know how quickly they give up if you arent home
yeah wonder why they will do it? What country have you been in to see this going on?

So in Belgium if you rent a Flat or House the police will knock on your door to see if you are around rof/%rof/%rof/%rof/%rof/%

In Croatia as well, I was told that the police officer will come to visit and make sure that I'm there for permanent residency. Police might speak with neighbors as well. I believe they don't check for temporary residency. That's why I gave up on it :p

It's like some people have paranoia so far I can confirm that I never have seen the police or any other authority on my addresses in Denmark, Germany, Switzerland, Norway and Sweden.

Maybe you're all criminals don't know, but personally never experienced what you guys post here :oops:

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: jafo and Empiric
It's like some people have paranoia so far I can confirm that I never have seen the polic or any other authority and my addresses in Denmark, Germany, Switzerland, Norway and Sweden.

Maybe you're all criminals don't know, but personally never experienced what you guys post here :oops:

In Italy, DPR 223/1989 art. 19.2:

L'ufficiale di anagrafe e' tenuto a verificare la sussistenza
del requisito della dimora abituale di chi richiede l'iscrizione ((o
la mutazione))
anagrafica. Gli accertamenti devono essere svolti a
mezzo degli appartenenti ai corpi di polizia municipale o di altro
personale comunale che sia stato formalmente autorizzato

In all EU countries the authorities check if a resident really stays at the address provided. They inspect the property, check utilities, speak with neighbors etc.
I guess you only need to worry about it if you are not an EU citizen (thus not have a legal right to live in every EU country).
In such cases, if you don't live where you claim to, you must notify the authorities. Even then they might not revoke the residence permit if you have a valid reason.

In all EU countries the authorities check if a resident really stays at the address provided. They inspect the property, check utilities, speak with neighbors etc.
not in all. In Estonia for example, they don't care if you live or not.
If you are registered in population registrar they don't care if you really lived.
They would even issue tax residence certificate. In Estonia or Latvia it's enough to have place to live to be tax resident.
I don't know about other countries

Especially if it's just simple rent flat, they don't care if person lives there

Reactions: Jade33
If you are registered in population registrar they don't care if you really lived.
They would even issue tax residence certificate. In Estonia or Latvia it's enough to have place to live to be tax resident.

This!
PS: The Estonian Major Investor Residence Permit doesn't require registering an address in Estonia at all (so technically you don't even need a place to live)
Of course, then, you are not in any way triggered for tax residency.

I guess you only need to worry about it if you are not an EU citizen (thus not have a legal right to live in every EU country).
In such cases, if you don't live where you claim to, you must notify the authorities. Even then they might not revoke the residence permit if you have a valid reason.
Yes, if you are EU citizen you don't need any permit to live.
Even if you are not EU citizen you can rent in Estonia

Yes, if you are EU citizen you don't need any permit to live.
Even if you are not EU citizen you can rent in Estonia
Yes, but as I said earlier, as a non-EU citizen with a residence permit and not actually complying with the stay requirements (not using the residence permit for its intended purpose), you might be (as there are exceptions) breaching immigration laws if you don't notify the authorities about your absence. Some authorities might check it.
It's technically a mechanism to avoid situations where someone would have a residence permit and be eligible for all the benefits but avoid paying taxes simultaneously.

Ok, baltoid countries are different.

exactly

So in Belgium if you rent a Flat or House the police will knock on your door to see if you are around rof/%rof/%rof/%rof/%rof/%
if you have domicile they come to check to prevent fraude or too many people registered at one address. i guess some situations will atrract more attention then others.
if you arent present for a year they will delete you from the books

Last edited:

Assume for a moment they go to my address. I am NOT there. I travel around. I spend time in high-end hotels. What are they going to do? Revoke my B permit and lose my taxes?
I've NEVER EVER lived, been registered, or owned a home in ANY other EU country, so what will they do?

I feel it's actually a blessing. I might make an anonymous phone call and snitch on Jafo. I then get out of paying my wealth taxes in CH rof/%

Assume for a moment they go to my address. I am NOT there. I travel around. I spend time in high-end hotels.
Nothing prevents you from residing in a hotel, but you must declare it as your residence. If instead you declare a different address, you commit a crime as per art. 251 of the Swiss Criminal Code.
The authorities will check how much time you spend in the hotels, it is a trivial task.
What are they going to do? Revoke my B permit and lose my taxes?
They might do nothing, or they might submit your file to the Prosecutor and you could be stripped of your permit and convicted. More probably, they will just call you for an interview, where you will even asked to explain your unusual situation and amend your residential address.
I've NEVER EVER lived, been registered, or owned a home in ANY other EU country, so what will they do?
Not their problem, they will just order you to leave Switzerland.
I feel it's actually a blessing. I might make an anonymous phone call and snitch on Jafo. I then get out of paying my wealth taxes in CH rof/%
If you regularly pay your taxes, I’m pretty sure that they will find an amicable way to address the situation.

• Haha
Reactions: jafo