Our valued sponsor

Buying US treasury bonds from a EU business

mallshtow

Mar 26, 2021
World
Visit site
Hi,

I'm trying to buy US treasury bonds as an investment from my entity which is based in Malta but I'm having some difficulties. As far as I have read you can buy bonds either by:

1. treasurydirect.gov (the official website from the US)
2. brokers

In order to do 1. my entity would need both an EIN and a bank account. I got the EIN by calling the IRS (because that's the way to do it) and I got it. But, now I'm trying to open a bank account and that's the tricky part. To be honest, I don't think (but someone may confirm please) that it needs to be a US bank account but at least to should allow me send and receive ACH transfers, right? In any case, I'm having a hard time to find a bank which would allow me to open an account. Any reccommendations?
For option 2. I didn't dig a lot into it but I tried with Interactive Brokers and they todl me they are not currently working with Maltese entities. Any other suggestion?

Thanks!

In order to do 1. my entity would need both an EIN and a bank account. I got the EIN by calling the IRS (because that's the way to do it) and I got it. But, now I'm trying to open a bank account and that's the tricky part. To be honest, I don't think (but someone may confirm please) that it needs to be a US bank account but at least to should allow me send and receive ACH transfers, right? In any case, I'm having a hard time to find a bank which would allow me to open an account. Any reccommendations?

If I remember the online opening process requires a US entity or individual to open with treasury Direct?

For option 2. I didn't dig a lot into it but I tried with Interactive Brokers and they todl me they are not currently working with Maltese entities. Any other suggestion?

Then open with Calamatta Cuschieri in Malta. They are the oldest and most trusted in Malta (ok....that does not say much...lol) They operate the broker Moneybase. You can buy any US Treasury bond via them. If they don't have the exact ISIN you want just chat them and they will add it instantly.

@Martin Everson thanks for the reply! why would I open the account with Calamatta and not directly with Moneybase?

Moneybase only for personal accounts. CC does corporate and trust accounts etc unless it has changed.

Reactions: mallshtow
Do you know if, between Calamatta vs Interactive Brokers is there any big difference? @Martin Everson

IB is a low cost discount broker with a way more advanced platform and is a much bigger complex group of companies than CC.

Also having your company and broker in same country is a better long term solution imho. IB or FATF etc could decide tomorrow they want to blacklist Malta companies for example and your now in trouble with where to open a new corporate brokerage account and may end up with Malta. Malta won't blacklist itself one would think...lol.

In any case no issues with opening multiple brokerage accounts to hold your treasury bonds.

Reactions: mallshtow
IB is a low cost discount broker with a way more advanced platform and is a much bigger complex group of companies than CC.

Also having your company and broker in same country is a better long term solution imho. IB or FATF etc could decide tomorrow they want to blacklist Malta companies for example and your now in trouble with where to open a new corporate brokerage account and may end up with Malta. Malta won't blacklist itself one would think...lol.

In any case no issues with opening multiple brokerage accounts to hold your treasury bonds.
I would be a little careful with CC. Imho it doesn't exactly scream of stability if you look into some publicity:

I would be a little careful with CC. Imho it doesn't exactly scream of stability if you look into some publicity:

Yikes eek¤%&

"Fintelegram reported on how Calamatta Cuschieri Investments Services Limited did provide €500,000 in cash to a convicted criminal. Malta’s FIAU and MFSA did not comment on questions asked by Fintelegram. To date, no public announcement on this possible money laundering transaction was made by the Maltese authorities."

Good old Malta, but then again it could just be......errr...no just run and don't look back eek¤%&eek¤%&eek¤%&.