Our valued sponsor

Crypto cashout in Germany, 0% tax,

CryptoTrader87

Oct 22, 2019
Visit site
Hello everyone, I’m looking to cash out crypto in Germany, after holding for more than 1 year.

I’d like to pay 0% taxes.

About me:

***Private EU citizen, I have a friend who owns a house in Germany (he is not German, but he's a EU citizen).

Can I receive tax residence if I rent my friend's home? Or do I need to stay in Germany for at least 6 months?

Any help on how to cash out with no taxes in Germany, given my circumstances, would be highly appreciated.

Reactions: Researcher
Im currently in the same situation. Im trying to find out if there is a requirement for someone to be a tax resident of the full holding period of 12 months.

Regarding the 6-month question, that is not true if your only permanent home is in Germany due to the OECD tie-breaker rules. If Romania got a tax treaty with Germany, just make sure the only Permanent home you have during this period is Germany, and even 1 month of staying should be enough as long as there is no requirement for the paragraph above (Im still trying to find out).

Germany got a dwelling based residency so you will be most likely claimed to be a German tax resident from day 1.

Of what Im aware, there is no exit tax for Germany but you need to make sure Romania does not have an exit tax for this situation.

Make sure that you register with the local authorities.

Last edited:
Reactions: CryptoTrader87
Im currently in the same situation. Im trying to find out if there is a requirement for someone to be a tax resident of the full holding period of 12 months.

Regarding the 6-month question, that is not true if your only permanent home is in Germany due to the OECD tie-breaker rules. If Romania got a tax treaty with Germany, just make sure the only Permanent home you have during this period is Germany, and even 1 month of staying should be enough as long as there is no requirement for the paragraph above (Im still trying to find out).

Germany got a dwelling based residency so you will be most likely claimed to be a German tax resident from day 1.

Of what Im aware, there is no exit tax for Germany but you need to make sure Romania does not have an exit tax for this situation.

Make sure that you register with the local authorities.
Thank you, appreciate it.

Hello everyone, I’m looking to cash out crypto in Germany, after holding for more than 1 year.

I’d like to pay 0% taxes.

About me:

***Private EU citizen, I have a friend who owns a house in Germany (he is not German, but he's a EU citizen).

Can I receive tax residence if I rent my friend's home? Or do I need to stay in Germany for at least 6 months?

Any help on how to cash out with no taxes in Germany, given my circumstances, would be highly appreciated.

This would have helped you to sort it all nicely out!

Reactions: clemens
One thing that kept me away from Germany is that by national law it is not clear what the definition of a 'permanent home' is in case you do not work in Germany (in case you do have a job, the general guideline is 3 months physical presence), which can be a problem for tax treaties. In order to be sure, please spend at least 6 months there and do not have any permanent home or habitual abode in any other country.

One thing that kept me away from Germany is that by national law it is not clear what the definition of a 'permanent home' is in case you do not work in Germany (in case you do have a job, the general guideline is 3 months physical presence), which can be a problem for tax treaties. In order to be sure, please spend at least 6 months there and do not have any permanent home or habitual abode in any other country.
There was once the case of Boris Becker with his sister's home in München to which he had a key while he was officially living in Monaco.

German tax authorities are among the hardest on this planet. If you are German or have family, better not stay in Germany. If you are a perpetual traveller and also stay 2 months in Berlin during your world trip, you probably won't have to worry much. Even if you are involved in outright criminal activities, by the time the police finds out, you will be gone.