Our valued sponsor

Cyprus company with substance, who can?

uplana

Corporate Services
Mentor Group Lifetime
Apr 15, 2009
Visit site
Time to start a thread for a Cyprus company with substance. I don't want this to be a spam thread, but I want to know, what service provider is able to help with setting up a company in Cyprus with following specs.

• real office address - not shared
  • company director
  • some sort of employee, low cost working hour 1 - 3 hours a day
  • utility i.e. water supply, electricity etc
  • Internet connection

Bank account can be good but not needed since Transferwise / Wise is able to open accounts for such a setup.

The company should just be a LTD - tax optimizing would require inside information of each business case.

Any input from these @CyprusLaw @Lawyer101 gentleman's would be much appreciated.

Substance defined in Cyprus

The typical definition of an entity having economic Substance is that a transaction or entity located in a low tax jurisdiction (like Cyprus) must have an economic purpose and relevant infrastructure besides being created 'artificially' and only for the purpose of reducing tax liability. Various steps can be taken to achieve this. This could be accomplished, for example, by ensuring that all entities (including holding companies) have a real physical presence in Cyprus, with independent local offices and staff administering the day-to-day management of the company. Further to the definition of Substance (especially economic Substance), the matter is open to interpretation and also largely lies in the interpretation of the authorities of the respective country.

Below is the description of the main factors that can be examined in search of Substance.​

The authorities normally will seek to find out whether the foreign entity located in low-tax jurisdiction has:
  1. It's own (rented or owned) office space/premises / physical address;
  2. Qualified and knowledgeable directors and managers who are located and employed in Cyprus;
  3. Other employee/s with relevant experience residing in Cyprus;
  4. Employer status of the company and registration with the Cyprus Department of Social Insurance where directors and/or other staff are employed (not only nominated);
  5. Its accounting records maintained in Cyprus and the accounting work performed by local accountants;
  6. Operative local bank accounts, with local resident signatories/counter-signatories;
  7. Relevant assets located in Cyprus (i.e., staff, equipment, and all other necessities which are normally required for doing business);
  8. The substantial involvement of local staff in the operations of the entity;
  9. An independent local email address and/or website;
  10. An independent telephone and fax line.
With the above noted, it is increasingly important to make sure that the Substance of a Cyprus company is sufficient for foreign purposes. Another country is free to impose its own substance rules (e.g., as a result of local CFC rules). In such a case, the obligation will lie on the Cyprus company (including its foreign beneficiaries) to demonstrate to the foreign authorities that the company is performing real business from Cyprus.

Maintaining a Physical Office and Substance in Cyprus

A concern often raised for maintaining a physical office is usually that costs for setting up a Cyprus company will increase significantly. However, it is to be also noted that these costs can be minimized in various ways and that the Substance will secure the clients from the additional tax burden.

Various professional firms provide substance packages to achieve few or all of the above mentioned at reduced prices and most importantly without needing to be actively involved spending a lot of time in the process.

It's unfortunate that you have misunderstood my thread. I'm not looking for a provider, but would like to know what costs we are looking at for the services I have listed in my thread.

But thanks for supplementing with additional information that I will add to my list.

So the new list is like
  • company director
  • Internet connection
  • An independent telephone and fax line
  • An independent local email address and/or website
  • Operative local bank accounts, with local resident signatories/counter-signatories
    not sure if that can't be replaced by an EMI !

• company director
    You can nominate somebody as a director for 400 EUR/year (licensed service provider who is nominated as a director for 500+ entities), or pay more like 1200 EUR/year to appoint somebody who is a director in a few companies.

A separate topic is the employment of a director (not just nomination). This can be arranged by some service providers for a low cost (i.e., for a few hours a month) or you can hire a real person at market level wages.

It is possible to employ somebody at minimum for around 15 EUR/h.

• real office address - not shared - see below
    You can check Bazaraki.com - No.1 classifieds website in Cyprus. Sell or buy cars, real estate, motorcycles, computers, electronics and much more. Free registration. and rent a real office for ~400 EUR/month or reach out to some service provider who can probably offer special deals for approx. half the price.

• Internet connection - see below
  • An independent telephone and fax line:
    Business
    Innovative solutions for your business
    https://cablenetbusiness.com.cy/

+ setup costs paid to a corporate service provider if needed.

Reactions: bastard
It's unfortunate that you have misunderstood my thread. I'm not looking for a provider, but would like to know what costs we are looking at for the services I have listed in my thread.

But thanks for supplementing with additional information that I will add to my list.

So the new list is like
  • company director
  • Internet connection
  • An independent telephone and fax line
  • An independent local email address and/or website

• not sure if that can't be replaced by an EMI !
You can put together a decent set up as per your above list for approx 1k per month. Director can also be the employee.

Time to start a thread for a Cyprus company with substance. I don't want this to be a spam thread, but I want to know, what service provider is able to help with setting up a company in Cyprus with following specs.

• company director
  • Internet connection

Bank account can be good but not needed since Transferwise / Wise is able to open accounts for such a setup.

The company should just be a LTD - tax optimizing would require inside information of each business case.

Any input from these @CyprusLaw @Lawyer101 gentleman's would be much appreciated.
You will not be able to open account with Wise or Revoult. They hold all applications for cyprus companies.
I also thought it would be that simple…

I meet all the conditions above, I set up my business in August 2021 and I still don't have a bank account. I'm waiting for Helenic Bank.

They have been considering my application since November 2021, so far 3 months ago they have returned with additional questions and I am still waiting.

You will not be able to open account with Wise or Revoult. They hold all applications for cyprus companies.
I also thought it would be that simple…

I meet all the conditions above, I set up my business in August 2021 and I still don't have a bank account. I'm waiting for Helenic Bank.

They have been considering my application since November 2021, so far 3 months ago they have returned with additional questions and I am still waiting.
What is your SoF and line of business? Happy to discuss by PM

Wonder if the mentioned service provider can provide all what is needed to get the status "substance" for your company? just a question... and do they have success wit the opening of bank accounts in Cyprus for such entities?

Latest Threads