Our valued sponsor

Does Revolut report end of year account balance or turnover according to CRS?

Account turnover has nothing to do with CRS. Where do you get this information? Or are you blatantly refusing to read basic 1-2 A4 summaries of reportable data available on OECD website?

Reportable are your Personal Data, Your account balance, and Investment Income (incl. account interest earned and dividends).

Account turnover has nothing to do with CRS. Where do you get this information? Or are you blatantly refusing to read basic 1-2 A4 summaries of reportable data available on OECD website?

Reportable are your Personal Data, Your account balance, and Investment Income (incl. account interest earned and dividends).

Hi xzars,

Has anything changed since your last answer? From what I read in some places (I tried to look for the directive you indicate, but I didn't find it) the amounts credited to that same account are also reported. Do you confirm?
I saw this:

"The information reported to tax authorities will have been provided in the self-certification form, and details about the accounts and products you have with us, including:
the balance or value
the total amounts of interest or payments credited"

I have some accounts at Revolut, Bunq, Monese and N26 (with a maximum value of 5k) and I wanted to see if it would help me to spend the money, and so they were reported with even lower values.
But I also believe that accounts with such low values (10k or less, I think they are low) will not jump at the sight of the authorities of my country, which even internally only values accounts with more than 50k.
Thanks

@juvejuve2020

Depends on how you read "payments credited", but it's either a mistake or deliberate loose wording to reserve room to maneuver (legal liability risks).

I've seen full data of my own reports, and this information is never featured.

The CRS is a standardized protocol with fixed data-value pairs. Banks can't make their own version of CRS as all data-value pairs are harmonized at the OECD level. Interest and dividend income, other investment income credited to your account, from the investment products you maintain with the bank who reports, IS part of your income under CRS rules. But received salary, received loan principal repayments, received payments from other accounts in your name, refunded hotel booking fees, received mom's birthday present... IS NOT. Any other approach would make the bank engage in guessing games.

With the bolded-out text, note that there's a difference if you receive investment income from companies where the reporting bank is not your investment custodian/broker. In that case, this data falls out of scope too. The reason is the same, if they don't manage your investments account, there's no way to conclude if the incoming funds constitute fresh income, taxed capital of prior years, or a mix of both. There are no grounds to report any of it as received income; reporting anything as income on assumptions, or payment descriptions alone would be malicious activity towards the customer.

Reactions: juvejuve2020
If you want to avoid CRS by draining your account before the year-end, this won't work. As you can see, your relatively uninteresting low value accounts of <5K got reported anyhow.

Nevertheless, there can be some benefits to having the year-end balance as low as possible. If you have a few tax officials to go over a million CRS reports, some cost-benefit choices must be made.

Year
If you want to avoid CRS by draining your account before the year-end, this won't work. As you can see, your relatively uninteresting low value accounts of <5K got reported anyhow.

Nevertheless, there can be some benefits to having the year-end balance as low as possible. If you have a few tax officials to go over a million CRS reports, some cost-benefit choices must be made.
Year end being 31 Dec, or does this work on another year end basis?

@juvejuve2020

Depends on how you read "payments credited", but it's either a mistake or deliberate loose wording to reserve room to maneuver (legal liability risks).

The CRS is a standardized protocol with fixed data-value pairs. Banks can't make their own version of CRS as all data-value pairs are harmonized at the OECD level. Interest and dividend income, other investment income credited to your account, from the investment products you maintain with the bank who reports, IS part of your income under CRS rules. But received salary, received loan principal repayments, received payments from other accounts in your name, refunded hotel booking fees, received mom's birthday present... IS NOT. Any other approach would make the bank engage in guessing games.

With the bolded-out text, note that there's a difference if you receive investment income from companies where the reporting bank is not your investment custodian/broker. In that case, this data falls out of scope too. The reason is the same, if they don't manage your investments account, there's no way to conclude if the incoming funds constitute fresh income, taxed capital of prior years, or a mix of both. There are no grounds to report any of it as received income; reporting anything as income on assumptions, or payment descriptions alone would be malicious activity towards the customer.

@xzars
thank you for your answer.
What happens is that I make some sales on the internet and these sales are paid through paypal (I never let a paypal account have more than € 1,500.00 so they never ask me for documentation), then I associate a bank account (the bunq is good because it lets you open 30 accounts with different iban), but I also associate accounts revolut (never asked for my TIN), monese (never asked for my TIN), n26 (never asked for my TIN).
I thought that this type of movement was part of the "credits" deposited in the account.
What I had thought of was to then use those deposited amounts until the end of the year, leaving a residual amount in the account so as not to raise a lot of suspicion.
Thanks again for your reply.

@juvejuve2020

Do you know if US stock brokers and Bitcoin excanges like Coinbase are also subjects of CRS?

@xzars can you help please? thanks one more time.

Do you know someone who works in a bank at a managerial or compliance position? Other ways to get the same info is to reach out to a bank with a motive to verify that their CRS data about your account is correct. If all else fails, ask your tax office what data they received about you... to ensure that your tax return is correct.

If anyone has used Revolut since 2018 and they really report to the tax system then you should see it on your tax return for 2019!

Reactions: Benzouser

What Monzo said about CRS report. "The data shared included information about yourself (Name, Address etc), and also your account balances, plus the total amount of money paid into the account over the year. Specific transactions are not sent, only high level aggregate data about your accounts.". So, if they share the total amount of money paid into the account over the year, this is not the turnover @Tax Cow??

What Monzo said about CRS report. "The data shared included information about yourself (Name, Address etc), and also your account balances, plus the total amount of money paid into the account over the year. Specific transactions are not sent, only high level aggregate data about your accounts.". So, if they share the total amount of money paid into the account over the year, this is not the turnover @Tax Cow??
I'd like to know this too.
There is a LOT of confusion on this.

Do they report the TOTAL INCOME of the account, or they do not ?

Latest Threads