Our valued sponsor

Is DuckDuckGo firefox extenion more secure regarding privacy?

bizman

Corporate Services
Mentor Group Lifetime
Jan 5, 2009
Visit site
I installed the DuckDuckGo Firefox extension. It says it secure and encrypt the connection and do other privacy settings.

How more secure is it?

Reactions: JohnLocke
If privacy is your thing then try Brave

IbZuGd.jpg

The best way to test if DuckDuckGo in combination with additional privacy enhancing efforts work is to search for things you normally don't and see if the ads tailored to you on other websites and apps detect it. If you want to be a proper scientist about it, do a control with Google and spend a few days making searches about another, completely new topic there and see if ads elsewhere start learning about it.

Also check out Privacy Tools: Fight Mass Surveillance with Encryption

Reactions: troubled soul
It wasn't too long ago if you tried searching for "russia today" on DuckDuckGo you didn't get the news outlet link. They might have shared privacy but no doubt the searches were being censored to limited results. Other more secure search engines would produce the link and the logo suggesting they were not compromised by politics or manipulation. I use this test on every search engine to see if they are worthy of pursuing.

Keep in mind that DuckDuckGo's searches go to Microsoft and Yandex.

For search, I'd say that Mojeek has a greater privacy focus.
I believe it is only Bing and their own index now, I thought they stopped with Yandex to "combat Russian disinformation" (i.e. censoring search results).
Although I am not a big fan of the Brave browser (prefer Vivaldi) I do enjoy their search engine a lot! Provides great results whilst mostly relying on their own index (like Mojeek or a Gigablast, but with much better results). You can find it on search.brave.com

@Simon4466 interesting that DuckDuckGo removed Yandex, thanks.

Brave search has an index but also integrates with Google and Bing. This probably isn't as bad as it sounds because you would normally need to have some kind of user-id to put together someone's searches and incriminate them (like the AOL search public privacy breaches). But it is possible that a complex query contains private information by itself.

you guys speak about search engines. What I'm asking for is that DuckDuckGo has a plugin for Firefox which should help you protect your privacy when browsing websites, search Google etc. I don't think it is what you guys discuss above or is it?

I'm using the Opera browser. Plugins like DuckDuckGo are supported so when you type a question where the URL at the top would normally be, you see the little duck in front of the question and the list below to assist in a completion of the question.
BTW. Is FireFox also a privacy issue here?

Latest Threads