Our valued sponsor

Privacy reasons - Not tax avoidance, advice please.

phatboy

Oct 22, 2019
Visit site
I run a number of UK Ltd companies and am a UK resident. I have recently been dragged into a frivolous lawsuit from a rival company who tried to sue my UK Ltd Company, and want to avoid this happening to my other companies as it was a costly waste of time.

So I have been thinking about going offshore and trading under an offshore company publicly, but still paying UK tax etc. It's basically for privacy reasons. This should hopefully reduce the chances of any lawsuits if I incorporate somewhere like Belize or St Kitts - where even the Director isn't known if I understand correctly. The latter of these seems expensive to incorporate in though, which is the cheapest place to register?

And is it possible to DIY it i.e. go directly to the equivalent of the St Kitts "Companies House" and register there? I don't really want to spend more than, say, $400 on this a year in fees. Some of these offshore companies are charging $3k a year....

Thanks.

Reactions: lory
Not exactly, I want to register my websites through that offshore company but all trading in terms of accounts, tax will still be done in the UK.

What would you say is a realistic budget here please?

Well, annual renewal for Belize would indeed be some 400-500 USD, but with you appointed as a Manager and Member. However, if you want to hide behind a Nominee Manager and Member, add 500 on top of that. In case someone requests incorporation documents, your name will not be visible on any official document.

yes

Well, annual renewal for Belize would indeed be some 400-500 USD, but with you appointed as a Manager and Member. However, if you want to hide behind a Nominee Manager and Member, add 500 on top of that. In case someone requests incorporation documents, your name will not be visible on any official document.
Ok, thanks. I'll look into it more.

Honestly, $400 to get a setup where privacy is the focus, that is unrealistic. Maybe you will find somewhere that *advertises* they will do it for that, but then you get hit with hidden fees for *everything*. Even more so if you go the nominees route.

But best of luck and if you find a reputably and honest company to do it for you for that much, please let us know.

On a separate note, will you not have issues trading in the UK with an offshore company? What will use for banking?
No, it'll basically be a front. Publicly, my websites will be registered to Offshore Company Ltd in Belize or whatnot. But I'll still maintain my UK Ltd Company with bank account and carry on as normal. The only difference is, nobody will be able to find out (easily?) that my website is still owned/trading under UK Ltd Company, because it won't be mentioned anywhere.

No, it'll basically be a front. Publicly, my websites will be registered to Offshore Company Ltd in Belize or whatnot. But I'll still maintain my UK Ltd Company with bank account and carry on as normal. The only difference is, nobody will be able to find out (easily?) that my website is still owned/trading under UK Ltd Company, because it won't be mentioned anywhere.

Will that work though? I suppose depends on the business, but if someone purchases something from you, wouldn't your UK business details will appear on the purchase / receipt / statement?

In my experience trying to create privacy and protect yourself, your wealth, assets etc on an incredibly limited budget and DIY rarely works. You need an expert who knows how to structure something properly and they will charge fees to do this. You will only know this works when a problem arises and at that point it is too late to fix the errors made by cheap providers or through a DIY effort.

In my experience trying to create privacy and protect yourself, your wealth, assets etc on an incredibly limited budget and DIY rarely works. You need an expert who knows how to structure something properly and they will charge fees to do this. You will only know this works when a problem arises and at that point it is too late to fix the errors made by cheap providers or through a DIY effort.

Often this is true, but by the same token a lot of companies just rip you off with something you can get much cheaper by going direct. So it's hard to know which.

I will check out Wyoming, thanks. I thought that this would show the company ownership though.

I agree with @Cetme308win Wyoming LLC in US suits your purpose best and is the cheapest. Also your 5472 would go nill as there won't be any transactions. It's gonna cost you 150USD to form and 50USD thereafter.

But if someone wants to start a lawsuit against you, how much protection is a US company once the courts are involved? Also, as it is only to show on your site, whilst you carry on trading with your actual UK company - that doesn't sound like a robust solution to protect yourself from anyone who is doing more than just looking at company name on your site and not investigating further.

But if someone wants to start a lawsuit against you, how much protection is a US company once the courts are involved? Also, as it is only to show on your site, whilst you carry on trading with your actual UK company - that doesn't sound like a robust solution to protect yourself from anyone who is doing more than just looking at company name on your site and not investigating further.

This is my concern too and why I will probably just go with somewhere obscure like Seychelles or Belize. It is too easy to get a US subpoena, which the agent will comply with even if my own details are fake they will still have my payment details and IP etc. I would rather incorporate in a place with more protection than the US.