Our valued sponsor

Russian President Putin announces military operation in Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seems even Opensource is a battle front. There is an ethical issue here if sabotage becomes acceptable in opensource community. Also this sort of cyber war could get very disruptive quickly.

-----

Ukraine hacktivism fights threaten open-source software

A volunteer who maintains an immensely popular open-source software tool updated the tool to wipe data from computers in Russia and its ally Belarus, Joseph Cox reports for Motherboard. The updated tool replaced the erased data with a heart emoji.

• It’s not clear how much damage the update caused, but it has the potential to wreak havoc on computers used by civilian companies and individuals inside Russia and Belarus — similar to what might be caused by a malicious hacking campaign.
Context: The move comes as large numbers of cyber volunteers in Ukraine and elsewhere have joined an “IT army,” that’s conducting digital attacks and information operations in Russia that skirt and sometimes cross legal red lines.

-----

A volunteer who maintains an immensely popular open-source software tool updated the tool to wipe data from computers in Russia and its ally Belarus, Joseph Cox reports for Motherboard. The updated tool replaced the erased data with a heart emoji.
That type of behavior is very frowned upon by programmers... Not sure what kind of idiot he is but wow

Last edited:

-----

RIAEvangelist told Motherboard in an email that “There was no actual code to wipe computers. It only puts a file on the desktop.” He then pointed to a Twitter account he said belonged to him and which had now been targeted by hackers.

His LinkedIn profile is no longer available. Six hours ago, RIAEvangelist updated the node-ipc page to read “Thanks for all the free pizza, and thanks to all the police that showed up to SWAT me. They were really nice fellas.”

The GitHub page for node-pic is now full of reactions to RIAEvangelist’s apparent sabotage.

“You’re a stain on the FOSS [free and open source software] community,” reads one. “You just destroyed your work, career and probably your online life,” another adds. Others include links to RIAEvangelist’s social media accounts.

-----

-----

RIAEvangelist told Motherboard in an email that “There was no actual code to wipe computers. It only puts a file on the desktop.” He then pointed to a Twitter account he said belonged to him and which had now been targeted by hackers.

His LinkedIn profile is no longer available. Six hours ago, RIAEvangelist updated the node-ipc page to read “Thanks for all the free pizza, and thanks to all the police that showed up to SWAT me. They were really nice fellas.”

The GitHub page for node-pic is now full of reactions to RIAEvangelist’s apparent sabotage.

“You’re a stain on the FOSS [free and open source software] community,” reads one. “You just destroyed your work, career and probably your online life,” another adds. Others include links to RIAEvangelist’s social media accounts.

-----
Yup, the idiot has literally destroyed his entire career. Did he really think that people would praise him for putting malware into his OSS project?

Perfect example of an irrational emotional decision he made without using logic and common sense. So much of this I see in the response to this conflict. Wish him well with his career going forward.

Reactions: kkein
Even Peter Schiff made Newyork Post, Bloomberg etc over a tweet about Zelensky wearing a T-Shirt. It was a very insensitive comment he made due to nature of what is going on, and I am the very last Schiff fan as you know. But the response to his tweet has been irrational. He got dragged in social media, death threats etc.

Pundit Peter Schiff slammed for criticizing Zelensky’s Congress address attire​

Reactions: troubled soul
I wowed to stay silent, which was hard due to all the bulls**t that some write in this thread, but alas.
Now, however, i learn from Gonzalo about the hellenic community of Mariupol, that got evacuated by the Russian army and dispatched to Greece..
Then i go on google to verify the claims.
This is what i find:

I stopped at the second result as it was enough.

Wife of former Ukrainian MP tries to flee country with 28 million dollars and 1.3 million euros​

How did she carry that lot? conf/(%

0_PAY-Suitcases-with-money-east2west-news.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: FlipnShip
Status
Not open for further replies.