Our valued sponsor

tutanota mail - better than protonmail?

It's "end to end" encrypted from what I read. Seems to be similar to protonmail, however, they know what they are doing in Switzerland so maybe protonmail is a better choice.

Reactions: bastard
Better in what terms?

About 18 months ago or so tutonota had a bug they said (really ns2) that meant that emails deleted weeks ago suddenly reappeared in my trash can. It freaked me out that they lied about deleted emails being destroyed and in fact were seemingly keeping everything. They explained this as some server synchronizing issue ns2. Be careful.

It does not seem to be the right solution. For total paranoia you may research your options for Internet privacy.

so we should all go back to telefax? Can we make a forum by fax?

Protonmail and Tutanota seems not too bad if you consider to connect it with an VPN!

I have to ask around here does anyone believe the claim of protonmail available here The real problem with encryption backdoors - ProtonMail Blog it sounds like they take encryption seriously and because they are based in Switzerland no country can put pressure on them, so they refuse to implement any encrypted backdoors.

What are your opinions?

To be honest I wouldn't trust any of them for 100%. No one can see how they really encrypt the mails or not and which backdoors they might have. They can write as much information on their page as they want but no one can prove them to be 100% true.
The best way to write secured mails is via selfmade PGP keys. And you store your private key on your own secure computer.

Think about the following: Proton for example offers account mergings after you got a paid plan so you can merge your non paid plan emails to your paid plan emails. During this process they will reroute the old non paid email accounts to your paid account. So in my opinion, there is a risk that they may at least be forced by authorities to reroute Mails to authority accounts.
However I think you really have to do a terrorist act or be El Chapo that they do such measures.
Governments won't do this just to prove your tax evasion, I am quite sure about this. If you get leaked, then because of the unsatisfied employee of your offshore provider who told the tax guy, they have your face on an ATM camera, your ex wife snitches, you tell someone drunk or on drugs that you are a big offshore bad guy or whatever, but not because of using proton, tutanota or even gmail.
I would still feel safe using proton, not because I trust them for 100%, because I feel safe with them as i know the chance to be leaked on a different way are much much much higher.

But if you want to do highly illegal stuff, than go with your own PGP solution as encryption/decryption takes place on your computer and not somewhere in the clod.

Think about the following: Proton for example offers account mergings after you got a paid plan so you can merge your non paid plan emails to your paid plan emails. During this process they will reroute the old non paid email accounts to your paid account. So in my opinion, there is a risk that they may at least be forced by authorities to reroute Mails to authority accounts.
hmm, not sure if I can follow you, non paid accounts are still encrypted by protonmail so it doesn't matter if you have a paid or free account with them, it is encrypted.

However I think you really have to do a terrorist act or be El Chapo that they do such measures.
I'm not sure about that and I would not relay on it if it's possible to avoid it.
your ex wife snitches, you tell someone drunk or on drugs that you are a big offshore bad guy or whatever, but not because of using proton, tutanota or even gmail.
if you do that you are an idiot and deserve to hang in your nuts on a tree.

they have your face on an ATM camera,
it's not always the case ;)

But if you want to do highly illegal stuff, than go with your own PGP solution as encryption/decryption takes place on your computer and not somewhere in the clod.
I agree it may indeed be the most secure solution for e-mail.

@Admin
The free proton mails are of course encrypted. However I had the case when I was using multiple free proton accounts and then decided to get a paid one so I can manage all mails more easily.
They told me to write them with all my mail accounts to the customer support that I want them to be merged into the paid account. Then they deleted the free accounts and routed the free account email addresses to the paid account.
So I guess they will be also able to route mails to for example accounts from authorities in case they force them by law.

I think encrypting the text you send in your email with your own keys is easiest way. I wouldn't outsource my privacy to tutamail or proton if its really confidential stuff.

Latest Threads