Our valued sponsor

French millionaire denied Swiss citizenship over speeding offence

Alonzo

Member Plus
Jan 6, 2023
Europe
Visit site

For me, the harshness of those Swiss folks will always make their country unattractive to integrate.
This frenchman lived in Switzerland for almost 40 years and they still denied his application for speeding that happened 5 years ago. Crazy

I know that acquiring Swiss citizenship is one of the best and safest citizenship you can have but c'mon... They are clearly acting like assholes here. And that's one big reason why I will never live in CH. Go to Zug for the lowest taxes then GTFO lol

Reactions: Martin Everson
Acquiring 2nd citizenship Globally, along the likes of(swiss,andorra,monaco, Luxembourg,san marino et al) requires, a reclusive mode, akin to monk mode,hibernation for the intended application duration up on till citizenship has been successfully acquired..

authorities engage on an indepth scrutiny and hawkeye approach towards applicants,past history,lifestyle,business,employment, employers etc....every nook and cranny would be zoomed into...

the tiniest of nicks and dents could disqualify the citizenship application,based on unsatisfactory grounds and lifestyle..etc rea#44!

For me, the harshness of those Swiss folks will always make their country unattractive to integrate.
This frenchman lived in Switzerland for almost 40 years and they still denied his application for speeding that happened 5 years ago. Crazy

I know that acquiring Swiss citizenship is one of the best and safest citizenship you can have but c'mon... They are clearly acting like assholes here. And that's one big reason why I will never live in CH. Go to Zug for the lowest taxes then GTFO lol
Keep in mind, they don't owe you citizenship just because you're a french guy living there for 40 years, it's always at the discretion of the authorities in the end. The smaller the country the stricter citizenship will get. Even places like Monaco i've seen billionaires who lived there for decades get told to f**k off while some newer foreigner who has a more interesting past than just making money got it quite easily. But as a general rule the people i see getting the citizenship are 1) Famous people with great achievements 2) People related to Prince albert's family and 3) People with a bloodline heritage to Monaco who wish to move there.

Switzerland is less strict than Monaco but again, citizenship can be denied for any reason, and i've seen people get denied simply because they couldn't remember a few villages food specialties when asked about it in the live interview. If they judge your interest is purely economic then they don't see you as a good fit for citizenship regardless of how many years you've been living there. They most likely saw that he was french, had a lot of ties to France still (Probably even a business there) and judged that he was trying to dodge taxes or achieve some kind of economic gain by getting the swiss citizenship. The speeding ticket is just the official excuse, they don't have to give you the real reason.

@ImRobot exactly...probably a few underlining factor exists..

as citizenship basics, literally goes down to High individual networth, as well as evidently what he brings to the economy, jobs for local workforce via an investment/outright UBO ownership ,a bouyant tax bracket etc..

from the scenario his team of lawyers can come up with a decent proposal towards neutralizing past actions and dents, going forward... rea#44!

The language and knowledge test for German citizenship is so complicated that most natives would not pass it. Is it similar in Switzerland?
At least French, Italian and German Citizens are not required to rund the language Test as German, French and Italian Language are all official recognized Languages in Switzerland.

Switzerland runs pretty much decentralized with all the cantons doing there own thing so a lot comes down to which canton you are looking at to get naturalized.

Reactions: JackAlabama
The court just followed the law. No exceptions. If the Frenchman doesn’t like Swiss law, he should not become a Swiss citizen.

“The court noted that the naturalisation ordinance provides that citizenship cannot be granted until the probationary period has expired. To this extent, the Frenchman will soon be able to submit a new application.”
Exactly. Simply put, What Saudi Arabia is to Alcohol, Switzerland is to Cars and Driving. Near 0 Tolerance culture and I believe doing double the speed limit is a criminal offense there, not a civil one. So seems Switzerland just applied their law and nothing else.

Reactions: JohnnyDoe
The language and knowledge test for German citizenship is so complicated that most natives would not pass it. Is it similar in Switzerland?

The knowledge test is known to be very difficult as the questions are random and can be extremely localized down to a specific village (Food, flag, etc). They don't mind a few mistakes but what they want to see mainly is your interest in swiss culture and your general knowledge of the country's heritage. A lot of people fail it because they think it's just a general knowledge test where they have to know city names and dates but it goes way deeper in terms of knowledge. That makes the swiss citizenship one of the hardest citizenships to get and people who do get it usually lived there way longer than 10 years.

The knowledge test is known to be very difficult as the questions are random and can be extremely localized down to a specific village (Food, flag, etc). They don't mind a few mistakes but what they want to see mainly is your interest in swiss culture and your general knowledge of the country's heritage. A lot of people fail it because they think it's just a general knowledge test where they have to know city names and dates but it goes way deeper in terms of knowledge. That makes the swiss citizenship one of the hardest citizenships to get and people who do get it usually lived there way longer than 10 years.
And apparently you need to stay in the same canton for 10 years straight. If you move to another canton, especially from a german canton to a french one, very high chance you will need to do the 10 year minimum stay all over again.

In Zug: In the Canton of Zug, of the 12 years spent in Switzerland, 5 have to have been spent in the canton and 3 in the same municipality, with no periods of interruption.

Last edited:
This frenchman lived in Switzerland for almost 40 years and they still denied his application for speeding that happened 5 years ago.

Welcome to pedantic Swiss mentality. If you didn't mention the country and asked me to guess where this happened I would have guessed Switzerland...lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Alonzo
A couple of years ago there was the cowbell lady. She got denied as well but got it in the end. Even Switzerland cannot deny you even if they want to. This guy needs to go to court and will then get it. The question is more one of how far he wants to go. There is also an immigrant example from Basel. They got denied because they were jogging pants in their free time. Via court they appealed and did get everything sorted.

Ten of the wackiest Swiss laws​

"9. In some cantons it is forbidden for men to have a wee standing up after 10pm. The reasoning? It creates too much noise."

:confused:

• Haha
Reactions: MiddleEuroAsia

Ten of the wackiest Swiss laws​

"9. In some cantons it is forbidden for men to have a wee standing up after 10pm. The reasoning? It creates too much noise."

:confused:
I agree on this one. If someone disagrees, it’s easy to setup a referendum.

The only thing allowed in Switzerland:

Sarco-device.jpg

Simply put, What Saudi Arabia is to Alcohol, Switzerland is to Cars and Driving. Near 0 Tolerance culture and I believe doing double the speed limit is a criminal offense there, not a civil one.
There’s really little reason for driving fast in Switzerland. You have trains that work well and not many places you actually need to go to by car.

Reactions: backpacker

Latest Threads