Our valued sponsor

Is tax evasion still not a crime in Switzerland?

However, it seems that Swiss residents accused of tax evasion by a foreign country, are in many/most cases not extradited.
sounds good, any evidence for this?

What about Cyprus, I think I remember they also not consider tax evasion a crime if it isn't their own country. Another user mentioned Turkey that also not consider Tax Evasion a crime!

Reactions: JohnLocke
sounds good, any evidence for this?

Extradition on the grounds of fiscal offences will be approved only in particularly serious cases. The terms of cooperation under the Schengen Agreement also provide for extradition owing to offences in the realm of consumer taxes, value-added tax and customs duties. A fiscal offence is not deemed to have been committed in cases in which perpetrators of subsidy fraud have money which is not due to them paid out to them under false pretences by the tax authorities, for example.

Also;
Where no other rules have been set down (see section 1), extradition may be denied if the alleged offence is subject to the jurisdiction of the Swiss courts (Art.35 and 36 IMAC), if the offence is time-barred (Art.5 IMAC) or ifthe accusation is an offence which appears to be aimed at reducing fiscal dutiesor taxes, or which violates regulations on currency, tradeor economicmeasures(Art.3 para. 3 IMAC). Under certain conditions, extradition may be granted for taxfraud (Art.3 para. 3b IMAC). Extradition may also be refusedif you are able immediatelyfurnishconclusiveevidence that you were not at the scene of the offence when it allegedly occurred (Art.53 IMAC)

They have passed the bill recently to consider it as a crime
They could not withstand the pressure of the USA and rest of the EU I guess.

Reactions: Martin Everson
Forget it with Switzerland as I said before on here. Switzerland is actually pushing for greater enhancements to CRS so they can report more...lol. They have had a white money policy for years now. Any hint of tax evasion and they are not interested any longer. They learnt their lesson the hard way.

Switzerland has decided to take the communist path. Proceed with caution if you want to proceed at all.
They take this crs reporting very seriously as good communists and privacy haters do.
Geopolitically very weak, they have weak leaders and vote for greenism/leftist parties. It is by far not the same place as it was 10-15 years ago.

Source:
* wef in january 2020
* election results in 2019

I didn't see the thread before now. Tax evasion is not the way to go. You will find lot's of useful stuff inside the Mentor Group Gold to reduce tax and make things legally a little better for your money and business.

Tax evasion itself will always be forbidden.

I didn't see the thread before now. Tax evasion is not the way to go. You will find lot's of useful stuff inside the Mentor Group Gold to reduce tax and make things legally a little better for your money and business.

Tax evasion itself will always be forbidden.
Exactly. It does not make sense to risk it at all. Just moving is the best option and be done.
As a harbor from outside, it will not work.

It is not a crime inside Switzerland (if you are resident / citizen) in the sense you go to jail. But you will pay very heavy fines, which can be really stiff. So it is a "jail" for your wallet instead your body ;).

Especially for Switzerland, you need a good professional working with you and your structure and tax will not be much of an issue. This knowhow is, however, very costly.

Switzerland has decided to take the communist path. Proceed with caution if you want to proceed at all.
They take this crs reporting very seriously as good communists and privacy haters do.
Geopolitically very weak, they have weak leaders and vote for greenism/leftist parties. It is by far not the same place as it was 10-15 years ago.

Source:
* wef in january 2020
* election results in 2019
Very true. The only benefit left is the direct democracy with the 4 referendums per year. This in effect slows down implementation of new laws / measures / legislation if the general consensus does not approve.

Very true. The only benefit left is the direct democracy with the 4 referendums per year. This in effect slows down implementation of new laws / measures / legislation if the general consensus does not approve.
well said. some cantons (= states / provinces as you wanna call it) are more conservative than others and value personal responsibility more and also offer lump sum tax regime to foreigners. it is interesting to see how that further develops.

Latest Threads