Our valued sponsor

New citizenship - New U.S. Brokerage

Rentonx

Jul 5, 2021
Argentina
Visit site
Hi,

I´m an Argentinian citizen, residing in Argentina. I have a U.S. bank account, including a W8 form I filled with my Argentina tax ID.

I have recently obtained Lithuanian citizenship (no passport yet, but on it's way).

My question is: can I open a new brokerage account under my new Lithuanian taxpayer ID (which I understand will be automatically included in my passport) while continuing to reside in Argentina? I would do this to avoid my U.S. assets being tracked by Argentina. Also, would filling a new W8 form with a new taxpayer ID get me in trouble with the IRS? Note that I wouldn't be able to produce proof of residence in Lithuania.

Tx.-

Reactions: JohnLocke
Hi,

I´m an Argentinian citizen, residing in Argentina. I have a U.S. bank account, including a W8 form I filled with my Argentina tax ID.

I have recently obtained Lithuanian citizenship (no passport yet, but on it's way).

My question is: can I open a new brokerage account under my new Lithuanian taxpayer ID (which I understand will be automatically included in my passport) while continuing to reside in Argentina? I would do this to avoid my U.S. assets being tracked by Argentina. Also, would filling a new W8 form with a new taxpayer ID get me in trouble with the IRS? Note that I wouldn't be able to produce proof of residence in Lithuania.

Tx.-
What is your place of birth listed on your documents?

The fact Argentina is listed as the birth place may create an issue however this is assuming that the brokerage firm is that attentive to your document to catch that. Argentinian perhaps a worse situation than American citizenship since least the US passport can be renounced to get rid of FATCA and tax issues.

Reactions: JohnLocke