Our valued sponsor

NHR Portugal - owning dividend paying stocks

Hi,

I am considering moving to Portugal and apply for NHR. I own a house in Netherlands which I would rent out and get the income from it and I own substantial amount of dividend paying stocks on my online broker account. I assume these two sources of income would be categorise as 'passive' income so I would pay 0% tax on them in Portugal under NHR right?

Also I Hodl some crypto (not planning to sell it) there is no wealth tax right? So I can 'sit' on this crypto and don't pay capital gains or wealth tax right?

Thanks
Mike

For NHR, it depends on the domicile of the dividend paying fund or company. Needs to be checked one-by-one. E.g. Irish UCITS are fine, but Singapore/HK funds are tricky. As a general rule, the dividends are tax free in PT, if they "could" be taxed at the source. So your tax guy needs to check your dividend sources and the relevant DTAs.

Reactions: khinkali
For NHR, it depends on the domicile of the dividend paying fund or company. Needs to be checked one-by-one. E.g. Irish UCITS are fine, but Singapore/HK funds are tricky. As a general rule, the dividends are tax free in PT, if they "could" be taxed at the source. So your tax guy needs to check your dividend sources and the relevant DTAs.
I own mostly US stocks which pay dividends and 15% tax is withhold before dividends are paid to my account so I believe it should be ok - right?