Our valued sponsor

Looking for a crypto-exit strategy

What would happen in case there is an exit taxation on crypto? I.e. the country taxes you on your holdings if you move to another country. Is there any ways to get around that? Given that the holdings are not declared to the local tax authority ofc.
I highly doubt that there's exit taxation, but in case there is one, you should contact a tax consultant in Germany which also checks the taxation rules in your home country. It can be very complicated sometimes. But Germany won't care in what country you were when buying BTC. Your home country could care, but they can't know you made your money with selling your crypto.

• Haha
Reactions: tsu458
A simple google search could verify that. This law exist in Germany. In fact I myself moved to Germany simply because of that. Portugal has similar law on Crypto.

Oh no. You will have to pay exit-tax on your unrealised gains, even if you move to another EU or EEA country. Also on potential company shares.

Have you heard of this? (Verluste aus Termingeschäften nur noch bedingt abzugsfähig. translated)
What's in store for traders from January 2021?

First and foremost, head-shaking. From 2021, losses from a forward transaction can only be offset against gains from forward transactions up to a maximum of 10,000 euros. A trader makes a profit of 15,000 euros and a loss of 9,000 euros, fall to 6,000 euros. However, if the losses amount to 12,000 euros, he must pay tax on 5,000 euros. However, he can carry forward the 2,000 euros not taken into account to the following year.

It gets even better if the losses exceed the profits. A profit of 20,000 euros is offset by a loss of 30,000 euros. Thanks to the loss limitation, however, only 10,000 euros take effect. Despite the red figures, the trader has to pay tax on 10,000 euros.

Also, politicans think about removing the capital gains tax of 25%, thus you would pay up to 42% income tax in the future:

There is a reason why folks with crypto assets and traders move OUT of germany.

Oh no. You will have to pay exit-tax on your unrealised gains, even if you move to another EU or EEA country. Also on potential company shares.

Have you heard of this? (Verluste aus Termingeschäften nur noch bedingt abzugsfähig. translated)

Also, politicans think about removing the capital gains tax of 25%, thus you would pay up to 42% income tax in the future:

There is a reason why folks with crypto assets and traders move OUT of germany.
I can totally understand why traders move to low-tax countries. But until now there's no change for tax-free sales with having had bitcoin or any other crypto currency for over one year. Your source is only relevant for traders and losses.

A simple google search could verify that. This law exist in Germany. In fact I myself moved to Germany simply because of that. Portugal has similar law on Crypto.

Indeed. Also in DE, hold for 12 months, no tax. (Staking is a bit more murky here)

... well, there is always the pesky source-of-funds issue that I seem to have stepped in, the tax authorities are happy, the banks, not quite. So don't be me, always track 100% when and where, crypto may be stuck in wallets for a long enough time to not pay tax, but even if 100% legal, above-board and aged-well you can still look like a drug dealer.

Yes - you can't predict the crypto market and I would assume, there is a chance you would rather sell and pay tax than hold. It was just a "bonus" information, to understand how germany works. Losses and tax in this case. :)

And like I said, you need to pay 25% on outstanding gains if you want to leave germany. This is new as of 2020, before that there was a "Stundung", so it was not applied - if the country was EU or EEA. Thats the important part.

I highly doubt that there's exit taxation, but in case there is one, you should contact a tax consultant in Germany which also checks the taxation rules in your home country. It can be very complicated sometimes. But Germany won't care in what country you were when buying BTC. Your home country could care, but they can't know you made your money with selling your crypto.
Just holding it for a year in a wallet is not enough they want you to also show them when you purchased and if you made any trades..and if it doesn't add up you'll have to pay..most of the people I know did trade or at least tried...

When I cashed out I was thoroughly checked eventough it was completely tax free and sitting in my wallet for 3 years...

And I don't know how the law is but what if they have to report to your country where you did not pay taxes..I mean it's a union..

What strage problems people have.

What's the definition of one possessing crypto? Is there a database that matches each bitcoin address to a concreate person? If not, what proves to the goverment that you're the ownder of a certain address and or have a certain amount of crypto?

And more importantly, how would they find it out unless you yourself revealed it to them?

Just holding it for a year in a wallet is not enough they want you to also show them when you purchased and if you made any trades..and if it doesn't add up you'll have to pay..most of the people I know did trade or at least tried...

When I cashed out I was thoroughly checked eventough it was completely tax free and sitting in my wallet for 3 years...

And I don't know how the law is but what if they have to report to your country where you did not pay taxes..I mean it's a union..
I mentioned multiple times that you need sufficient proof of purchase. You shouldn't move any of your coins when receiving them from an exchange. I'd better keep them in a normal wallet than on an exchange. This way you can always proof that there was only one transaction from your side and that went into your wallet. The blockchain is enough proof then. But the tax authorities might ask additional questions. That will be done manually and then you have to provide proof.

What's the definition of one possessing crypto? Is there a database that matches each bitcoin address to a concreate person? If not, what proves to the goverment that you're the ownder of a certain address and or have a certain amount of crypto?

And more importantly, how would they find it out unless you yourself revealed it to them?
Interesting question. Because in some countries there is indeed a database that matches each bitcoin address to a person. Exchangers from the Netherlands are required to do that by law now. But your current amount of crypto isn't relevant in Germany. No sale means no taxes as long as you didn't stake or generate any rewards with it. But why does it even matter if they find out how much you're having in crypto? That doesn't matter in Germany and relevant is your profit from sales when holding for less than a year.

Bitcoin is not anonymous. The second you buy bitcoin or cashout bitcoins you are leaving traces. There is multiple governments buying information from private companies,
in the efforts of taxing bitcoin tax evaders.

Also already hackers and criminals behind bars after private companies traced them.

I´ve heard about bitcoin mixers. I don´t know how efficient those are.

Reactions: RBraun
Bitcoin is not anonymous. The second you buy bitcoin or cashout bitcoins you are leaving traces. There is multiple governments buying information from private companies,
in the efforts of taxing bitcoin tax evaders.
The second you buy bitcoin nothing happens because one can buy it from an individual, as P2P.
Or, one can get paid in bitcoin and here nothing will happen either.
The only possible threat is when one buys it on a centralized exchange with KYC.

Bitcon isn't anomous, and so what? If I give you a bitcon address, will you be able to tell me who owns it?

Reactions: KJK
Interesting question. Because in some countries there is indeed a database that matches each bitcoin address to a person.
but one can.... guess what? Create a new bitcoin address or multiple ones. :p It takes 1 second.

I still don't get it. I think you don't understand how crypto works. What you claim is similar to thinking that "a person can have only single email, for the rest of his life and is unable to register a new one, nor abandon this current email. And email is uniquely identifies a person. And an email can only be registered and used via gmail, yahoo and other well known email providers." Gibberish or not?

Reactions: KJK
I mentioned multiple times that you need sufficient proof of purchase. You shouldn't move any of your coins when receiving them from an exchange. I'd better keep them in a normal wallet than on an exchange. This way you can always proof that there was only one transaction from your side and that went into your wallet. The blockchain is enough proof then. But the tax authorities might ask additional questions. That will be done manually and then you have to provide proof.

Interesting question. Because in some countries there is indeed a database that matches each bitcoin address to a person. Exchangers from the Netherlands are required to do that by law now. But your current amount of crypto isn't relevant in Germany. No sale means no taxes as long as you didn't stake or generate any rewards with it. But why does it even matter if they find out how much you're having in crypto? That doesn't matter in Germany and relevant is your profit from sales when holding for less than a year.
Yea I know and Germany is not the problem almost every country in the eu has a "Wegzugsbesteuerung" and you have to declare that in the original country (otherwise it can be punished retrospectively...)

The second you buy bitcoin nothing happens because one can buy it from an individual, as P2P.
Or, one can get paid in bitcoin and here nothing will happen either.
The only possible threat is when one buys it on a centralized exchange with KYC.

Bitcon isn't anomous, and so what? If I give you a bitcon address, will you be able to tell me who owns it?
the problem comes when you want to lets say buy a house with btc...
getting 500k via p2p in cash? is well not the best thing i guess..and getting it from an exchange will only work with kyc...

but one can.... guess what? Create a new bitcoin address or multiple ones. :p It takes 1 second.

I still don't get it. I think you don't understand how crypto works. What you claim is similar to thinking that "a person can have only single email, for the rest of his life and is unable to register a new one, nor abandon this current email. And email is uniquely identifies a person. And an email can only be registered and used via gmail, yahoo and other well known email providers." Gibberish or not?
I don't think you understand how it really works. Yes, you can create new bitcoin addresses and send them there or whatever. The point is that you're the owner of the address the made the transaction. Should you do anything suspicious with it? Probably not, because you bought them with your real name. Sending to mixers is definitely suspicious, but most probably they can't really tell what happened after that. It's suspicious, but not illegal. Exchanging to Monero isn't supicious at all and solves much more problems than mixers could ever solve. I didn't claim anything that you mentioned. I just said that exchangers from the Netherlands are only allowed to withdraw to "verified" addresses that you own by submitting proof.

Reactions: VinoFino
I am from Germany and as far as I know it is true that you can convert your BTC to FIAT tax free after 1 year if you have not traded in this timeframe.

To prove this, I would put the coins for 1 year into one address and not move them.

For trading Germany is as far as I know awful. You can not deduct your losses from your profits anymore (only up to 10k/year). This means you can basically end up in debt, even if you do not made any profits.

Hello,

I am researching what my exit strategies from crypto will be within the next 4-18 months, with portfolio worth $1mm - $2mm. My country is a member of EU (Central Europe) with significant taxation on crypto, I do not want to cash out to fiats here. The CRS and CFC obviously limit my options, my country participates in both. I am tax resident here where I live, it' likely to stay this way in the near future, in 5-10 years from now strongly considering to relocate. Travelling abroad from time to time to deal with the company matters is what I'm used to.

I'm considering what my options are as for 2021 considering my plans and needs:
- Required: I want to exit crypto to fiats with the minimal taxation possible (0% - 15% max in the worst case) with a new company set up and bank account somewhere.
- Required: I will use the company for active trading in financial markets (stocks, futures, options, crypto). Will need international broker account set up in the name of the company and friendly taxation rules.
- Nice to have: I might also consider to buy some very modest real estate (nothing fancy) in Cyprus, UAE in 2-5 years. Not sure yet to buy as a company or as an individual.
- My biggest considerations are CRS and CFC rules. By all possible means I do not want the company to be considered CFC and reported to where I live, neither the bank account reported with CRS.
- I know nothing is permanent in this world with exit options tightening, but I'm looking for a solution that would likely be stable for a couple of years at least. Reworking the structures every year costs money and time.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Please connect and I can help

Reactions: OlegB
Thank you!

Many thanks to everyone for sharing your suggestions, and ideas with me. There is a lot of new information, and interesting advises.
The UAE option looks the most promising right now from many points of view.
UAE for now is the best route especially as you can also buy real estate there as well.

Reactions: troubled soul